Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- January 2016 -- LAMB

It just means I don’t like them as much as I did before. It’s not all or nothing in life.

It is also a lot different from this isn’t it?

1 Like

You should give Pie Not a try when you’re down in OC. Maybe time for another comparison piece?

Not much of a dessert fan. Unless this counts as dessert:

Or this

1 Like

Ohmigod, those look AMAZING. Is the 2nd pic duck?

Hmmm… my partner is away for most of next weekend (he doesn’t necessarily like to drive long distances on the weekend b/c he does that for work on the weekday). Perhaps I could try Aussie Pies vs. Garlo’s vs. Pie Knot next weekend. But that’s just a whole lotta lamb for a single day! :wink: Will think about it…

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:43, topic:2257”]Is the 2nd pic duck?
[/quote]

Even better. Suckling pig. :grin:

Pie Not was good but have yet to return. The crust is just not something I gravitate towards and the filling slightly above average IMO. They make them so you can eat them with your hands which had a texture that I don’t particularly care for.

Are these style pies supposed to have a harder crust?

The ones that I had in Sydney and Queenstown were flakey and thin but still sturdy enough so that you can pick them up by hand. The filling is also really generous and high quality at 4-8 USD. Thank goodness for the strong dollar.

1 Like

more importantly, porthos, did you have any bluff oysters whilst in new zealand?

thanks.

Lots of oysters and clams but no bluff oysters. Maybe missed the season?

ah, my mistake. season is from march to august.

sorry 'bout that.

New Zealand lamb at Little sheep

Side of lamb wontons.

3 Likes

No pics, but if you’re ever flying on Emirates the braised lamb options are excellent.

Met a friend to watch the NFL playoffs and we wanted something beyond typical sports bar food. Ended up at El Dorado bar and grill in Long Beach. Owners are south african. I tried their Durbin lamb curry. Came with a papadum, shredded coconut, banana and tomatoes on the side. It was more like a stew, I don’t know what authentic Durbin curry is supposed to taste. I liked the blend of flavors but some of the meat was a bit tough, other pieces fine. Overall for $13.95, I thought it was a good deal for a sports bar place. I also tried the peri peri chicken livers for appetizers. Next time, I’ll want to try their biltong and boewers sausages. They also have some craft beers available.

The chicken livers. Not that spicy and sauce a bit oily. But I liked the spices and flavor, would want to try it on wings next time.

4 Likes

Great post; I’ve never heard of Durbin curry (and know nothing of South African cuisine). Does it resemble other, “well-known” curries (Indian, Thai)?

Probably more Indian in that it’s more stew like with no coconut milk and similar spices. I’m horrible at naming spices, I can place flavors but have a hard time naming them.

badmaash lamb burger

3 Likes

Real nice DineLA menu at Aqui de Texcoco…$15 lunch!

4 Likes

Huh…Aqui es Texcoco is not the type of place I thought would have a DineLA menu…

1 Like

They were on the roster for DineLA last go round as well.

Lamb Ribs from Charcoal Venice. Fantastic. Meat fell off the bone.

2 Likes

those are great!