Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JULY 2016 -- BBQ/GRILLED MEATS

Yeah I know. I was surprised myself…

But if you want beef ribs in the studio city/Burbank it’s 3 options - ribs USA, boneyard bistro, and Texas best BBQ. BB was merely ok (and they were really expensive), so I decided to try ribs USA.

Once again, I know they’re not going to win any awards, but to put it in perspective I paid $6/rib from GELSONS this week, and ribs USA was definitely better than that.

fair point.

i can’t remember if andre’s has beef ribs or not.
have you tried mom’s bbq? or the handy market on magnolia and buena vista?
mom’s i’ve enjoyed. the handy market ones are hit and miss, but can be decent.

is texas best that joint next to the bar near gelson’s at riverside and laurel?
i’ve had their stuff but i can’t remember it.

Salazar in Silver Lake: No sign, no parking, no street visibility. Literally a hidden gem. All the meats and fish are grilled over a wood fire. This is by far my favorite Mexican place in town now.

This is the grilled flatiron steak.

It’s served with freshly made flour tortillas.

Here’s the scene. It’s entirely outdoors except for a small bar area.

3 Likes

[quote=“linus, post:80, topic:3662”]
Ribs USA - but they’ve gone way downhill.
[/quote]Yep, that’s true. But Ns1’s mention sparked memories… for me anyway.

That’s the one. It used to be at Hardy’s Market on weekends, but they opened their own spot. Was not very impressed with it the one time I tried it.

Mom’s has great atmosphere and good fried chicken, but I haven’t been impressed with their bbq. I will give it another try.

July 2nd. Beef plate short ribs and a prime brisket.

10 Likes

Looks great. Moist, juicy, perfect smoke ring on the brisket. But from where?

I made both.

2 Likes

@mhlee, that looks great! What’s your method for doing the ribs (time, temp, cooking vessel, etc.)?

@mhlee that’s a fine looking brisket

1 Like

Nowhere near the prowess of some of the other grilling gods in this thread but grilled up some chicken with a marinade of gochujang/soy sauce/rice vinegar/brown sugar/garlic/lime.

bunk, blurry pic of the birds

topped off with crushed peanuts and cilantro

3 Likes

That’s a great marinade. I’m a chicken girl myself.

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:91, topic:3662”] the prowess of some of the other grilling gods in this thread
[/quote] I know, right? I’m amazed at some of the presentations.@paranoidgarliclover made a good decision opening up this month to home cooking.

1 Like

Aw, thanks. :wink: But I think other posters specifically made the request BBQ def be made open to home cooking. I just agreed. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not an expert. But I think maintaining the right temperature is the trickiest part.

I’m not too concerned about that. I cook ribs (beef and pork) all he time. I keep the temp at 225-250° for three hours unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and 1 more hour unwrapped (las hour is with or without sauce, depending on the crowd). I’m just wondering if there’s a difference with short ribs. @A5KOBE gave me a great rundown on how he does his awhile back. I still haven’t tried them yet and was just curious.

I do my ribs almost exactly like you. Curious to see what he/she writes about the short ribs.

Happy BBQ-ing!

1 Like

What do you cook yours on/in?

Oh no… Me and my big mouth.

Last summer we were obsessed with watching BBQ Pitmasters. My husband was walking around talking like Big Mo. I decided to challenge myself and see if I could smoke ribs on my plain ole’ $75 weber kettle. I bought an $11 BBQ thermometer from Amazon, drilled a hole in the top of the weber and attached it. I fixed the coals for indirect heat and added a drip pan. We went thru 3 slabs of - expensive “humanely” raised - country style pork ribs from Huntington Meats before I finally got it right. They were great. I almost asphyxiated myself. I haven’t gone near the weber since.

So I should have said “did” my ribs almost exactly like yours. I’ve retired.

2 Likes

Re: consistent temp, I mostly cook using a mostly wood fire; there’s no way I’m going to be able to keep a super consistent temp, so I don’t worry about it. Consistent temp isn’t that important in my experience. Even if I’m using a temperature controlled cooker, the temp fluctuates. I generally cook anywhere from 240-280. But, 225 is almost too low for most meats in my experience, unless you wrap with foil. I don’t wrap most meats so I never intentionally cook at 225 as a target temp.

I don’t wrap most ribs, so going by a strict time guideline/method like the 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 method isn’t necessarily accurate. The length of time a piece of meat cooks varies depending on size, weight, how much meat you’re cooking, outside temperature, cooking temperature, humidity, kind of cooker, what fuel you’re using, etc. (I only wrap beef back ribs and rib tips, but I rarely cook beef back ribs).

Those methods also only work for pork ribs because most loin back or St. Louis ribs are within a 1 lb. range of weight. Beef plate short ribs can be anywhere from 4.5 lbs to 7+ lbs and take anywhere from 5 to 8 hours. I have several cookers and that alone changes my cooking time.

And, I don’t go by time or temp; I go by doneness. Barbecue is done when it’s done and that’s the best advice I can give you.

3 Likes

I don’t know some of the terminology you’re using (I’m totally unfamiliar w/ making BBQ). Is there a website you recommend as a primer?

TIA.