DISH OF THE MONTH (DoTM) -- OCTOBER 2016 -- CHEAP EATS

Love las Fuentes!

Is the Van Nuys Salsa and Beer as good as NoHo? It’s been along time since I’ve been there, but I don’t remember their meat having that smokiness that the location at Noho has.

They have an app that you can use, that tells you the wait time at salsa and beer at NoHo. Also what is your current place in line. Wonder if it covers Van Nuys too.

Can’t remember the app name, I’ll post when I do.

That’s funny. It was the creamy refried beans that pulled me in. They’re one of my weaknesses. You’re right though… they do look a little too creamy. You gotta’ have some texture. But the meat looks really good and your descriptions even better.

For those who’ve been wanting Taco or Mexican DOTM I think Cheap Eats is covering that too :yum:.

2 Likes

Okay, maybe I wouldn’t starve if I had to eat cheap. :wink: Soba for lunch.

Sanuki Sandou
Mitsuwa Market
3760 Centinela Avenue, L.A., 90066

7 Likes

NS1 -

We just hit the Pitfire Pizza happy hour Friday, for the first time - and we’ll be back.

Cheese or pepperoni pizza - $5.
Mini meatballs and spaghetti (perfect for me) And, really great drink choices for $4 or $5.

(Photo of HH menu thanks to yelp)

https://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/pitfire-artisan-pizza-pasadena?select=UCBRzTX_OwdlRXfAzoodIg

Plus the side salad for $2 is surprisingly well made and, generous.

Really great option!

3 Likes

I also highly rec the Morrison Happy Hour. Everyday 3 - 7pm and, all day sunday.

Not as insanely cheap as Pitfire but the sliders and the salad are really good. And the mac and cheese is tasty and big. Nice beer selection on the second page.

Also, their fish and chips are excellent. Nicely fried cod (not tilapia!) 4 pieces, placed atop an enormous serving of fries. I split it with the hubster and could not finish the fries. And entree that feeds two or $15? Yes!

1 Like

This sounds great. Do you know if it’s only in the bar or can I take my child with me?

It’s in the whole restaurant. Still, I’ve only seen a few kids there whereas Pitfire? Tons of families!

1 Like

The kids spaghetti meatballs is available all the time for $6 and is a reasonable size for those with smaller appetites. And you can use the pitfire app if you’re ashamed of buying from the kids menu without kids. Not like I’d know anything about that.

2 Likes

Oh! Fabulous to know! Thank you!

I was stunned, when asking about the sizes, the counter girl offered that I could order from he kids menu. That’s so cool of them! I did get the kids spaghetti and meatballs and it was the perfect size for me.

Ikea won’t let me order from the kids menu anymore and the chicken fingers and mac and cheese were my favorite guilty pleasure.

1 Like

Prime Pizza has a fantastic lunch special - 2 slices and a drink for $8. Are you fucking kidding me?

Sicilian is a far, far, far cry from Prince St but tasty enough. Did I mention these 2 slices and a drink was $8?

No undercarriage shot, but for those who care there was minimal char.

5 Likes

10:30am Monday pizza? Hero.

haha, it was yesterday’s pic - I’m not patient enough to deal with mid city traffic on weekdays.

1 Like

The Hat Pasadena

4 Likes

huitlacoche huarache from El Huarache Azteca. under $6 i think

stuffed masala dosa @ Indian Sweets House also under 6

4 Likes

Costco Polish Dog with drink Still $1.50

7 Likes

Las Fuentes is great; I have never been to Salsa and Beer.
Does anybody have a direct comparison of Salsa and Beer and Las Fuentes?

contrary to Gr8pimpin’s opinion, a lot of people (myself included) are addicted to Salsa & Beer’s bean dip. I can make an entire meal out of gratis chips, bean dip, and beer.

Salsa & Beer is a proper sit down restaurant - NoHo location has 2 bars, Van Nuys location has none. Las Fuentas is a more fast food type experience on the ordering/pickup front, but the tables are nicer so it feels like you’re in a fast-casual place.

With regards to the food itself, the menus seem very similar but Salsa & Beer seems to have more seafood options. I’ll leave the rest to Gr8pimpin since he seems to have been to both quite a few times.

What else is good @ Las Fuentas?

1 Like

Actually I LOVE the bean dip, especially on the days where they make it on the spicy side. Their refried beans on the plates are not my favorite, as they are more like the beandip I have chugged by the gallon with chips :slight_smile:

Las Fuentes meats taste like they are cooked on a flattop, while Salsa and Beer meat has a smokey char flavor to it. The tacos al carbon are great.

They use the smokey meat in their fajitas as well.

The asada at las Fuentes is more chunky and I’m not sure what kind of meat it is. Salsa and Beer looks more like the traditional beef flap but smokey and charbroiled. They feature it as a combo plate with quite a few variations.

http://www.salsaandbeernorthhollywood.com/SalsaAndBeer_Menu.pdf

Like NS1 says Salsa and Beer has a much larger menu and the full bar (actually 2 of them).

The mulita is killer as you know. (It has steak, cheese, bacon, guac and sour cream)

I like the tortas. The pastor, though not what I think of when I picture “pastor” is still quite tasty.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the tacos were @ Salsa and Beer, particularly the carnitas.

1 Like