Dried or Frozen Hominy (Posole) or Your Best Mexican Food Tips or Questions

Hardly :slight_smile:

BTW I forgot to mention that I used two cans of hominy not the dried.

lol, could be. He’s always polite, and very helpful.

1 Like

:smile: I was wondering if you stuck to your guns on that one.

Maybe not then. This person wasn’t so polite. I ended up challenging him :grin:.

Hi Dommy, Just seeing a revised posole talk, so I thought I would chime in again. No one took me up on my offer for the posole and it’s a good thing they didn’t. The refrigerated (thawed frozen?) posole I bought at Northgate Market was not very good. Difficult for me to explain but the hominy texture was not “right” and didn’t have much taste. I will try the dried that you suggested, and maybe El Camaguey that frommtron suggested, which may be even closer to me. I don’t mind driving for food but for pantry items I prefer to find them close.

I might even try Rancho Gordo because it sounds like they have great products.

Thanks again everyone. Wait. Another question: I buy dried, whole, New Mexico chiles for my posole but I always need to add ground New Mexico chile to make the posole even a bit hot. I soak the chiles in warm water and remove the seeds before I chop them up. Is there a solution to mild posole, keeping the New Mexico tradition, a tradition?

1 Like

Yeah, the Refrigerated Deli Hominy is meant to be ground into Masa. Not to be then boiled in soup. It would just create a starchy mess.

Try boiling your own dried from them. It’s good, although the boiling process will take a while.

As for your mild posole… That is completely NORMAL. People have this misconception that Mexican food in inherently SPICY. It is not. Posole at a Mexican Table is not just served… it is adjusted. It is served unadored and on the table there are onions, cabbage, lime, cilantro, mexican cheeses, avocado, crema, tostadas. Everyone has their own favorite “Posole Mix” which they create at the table.

Also, Mexicans, in general, askew spicy soups! My father is an HUGE chile head. He HATES spicy soups!! he won’t even put Jalapenos in his Pho… LOL!! Still, there are always those who like a bit of heat and so at the table there are smaller dried chiles as well as a chili purree (usually pure chile, vinegar, garlic and salt). It’s really left up to the individual person to finish their dish.

Here is an excellent picture of how Posole is served on a Mexican Table:

5 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the lack of heat in (most) Mexican food. I honestly can’t think of any dish I’ve had that had heat. And you photo is the perfect illustration of that.

1 Like

It wasn’t me! I can be bitchy but I would never scold!

2 Likes

Don’t want to be a sabe todo here, but remember, when you go to your average Mexican market and see corn, sometimes marked for Pozole, it’s plain corn. It will never cook unless you nixtamalize it. Dry, prepared hominy is an American Southwestern thing. My Mexican friends would be horrified. They also challenge my using red or blue corn. They tend to like it mild, white and bland, not even yellow. The red corn, which has less fat in it, tends not to be so great for tortillas but makes a great posole. The blue, too.

1 Like

Apparently he’s really good looking, too.
:wink:

4 Likes

I just got a bag at the Orig. Farmer’s Market. The veg vendor next to Marconda has them. But, after soaking for 4 days and not finding them getting softer I threw them away.

Can you teach me how to get them to softness?

1 Like

Nemroz–

You have to BOIL them. It will take a couple of hours. Also don’t boil them in the soup. Just water. Then add salt an hour after.

–Dommy!

3 Likes

[quote=“Dommy, post:46, topic:4269”]
People have this misconception that Mexican food in inherently SPICY. It is not.
[/quote]Thank you. My business partner and friend is from Mexico City. He asked me “Why do Americans like their Mexican food so spicy?” That summed it up for me.

It’s the same with Creole and Cajun cooking. Paul Prudhomme said one of his regrets was the idea that all Cajun cooking has to be really spicy.

I better pay more attention next time I go to the Original Farmer’s Market, because I go there every time we have out of town visitors.

Thanks for all the information. I sort of knew about the heat on Mexican tables but I just love to add the jalapenos or whatever else they serve to bring the heat level up.

Now, about that photo. Did you grab that from internet and if not, where do I go to get that same setting? I am so hungry.

1 Like

[quote=“ranchogordo, post:49, topic:4269”]
It will never cook unless you nixtamalize it.
[/quote] I was going to ask what that meant. But decided to call on my 2nd best friend Wikipedia, by way of my 1st best friend Google.

But seriously, you’re a FTC hidden gem. Any interest in starting a Mexican cooking thread? Unless @NeverEnough doesn’t mind us hijacking this one?

2 Likes

So your Mexican friends don’t use hominy? I don’t follow about the dry, prepared hominiy. I will try the red next time.

it’s so confusing.
I may be making things worse.
In Mexico, you take the corn, the kind people are finding in Mexican grocery stores, and cook it with Cal (lime) and later rub the skins off. This is now hominy.
You can pinch the germ ( a real task!) and it will “flower” after additional cooking.
The US culture took it a step further. After cooking and removing the skin, they dried it again. This is now prepared hominy or dry hominy. it’s more of a convenience than anything else. A lot of older Mexican women I know were not happy with our dried hominy, until they tried it. it’s superior to canned in every way but the best would be to make it yourself and pinch the germ.
Hominy is really nixtamalized corn.

1 Like

Obviously I love talking about what I know but the danger with Mexican food is that after all these years of going down 3 to 6 times a year, mostly to eat, I know I am just scratching the surface. I am floored with every trip. And humbled! As soon as you speak in absolutes about something, there’s some village somewhere that can prove you wrong.
I’d love to participate in a Mexican food thread.

3 Likes

Let the Mexican Food Games begin. I’m really a novice at eating Mexican food, and a gringo to bat (I love El Abajeno). But I loved the food our Mexican-American traveling companion found on trips to Cabo San Lucas and Cozumel.

1 Like