DTLA Friday Night - Recommend Something, Please

I’m taking food to homeless vets in DTLA tomorrow night. I don’t know why, I’m usually a write-a-check-to-give-back kind of person, but I am doing this.

Hopefully it’s not too Gwyneth Paltrow of me to go out somewhere to eat after I’m done. I’ll be wearing trendy, yet casual. I never go downtown at night to eat. Any recommendations for places I should really try?

4 Likes

Grab a seat at the bar at bestia
PYT
redbird
Spring
Orsa & winston

3 Likes

Kinjiro

1 Like

Broken Spanish?

1 Like

this

3 Likes

Everson Royce Bar

I really want to go here.

Reservations are a must I hear.

But… it is. It is VERY Goop-y. I’m sorry to have to say it. That doesn’t make you a bad person. You do you and own it.

But there may be some eyerolling.

1 Like

How’d it go down there?

Skid row is really big! I thought it was just one street, but it covers entire blocks. I got a little lost. Everyone was very nice, though, and helped me get to where I was going. One guy asked if I was looking for the AA meeting. :wink:

It was a gorgeous night and felt kind of festive. Here is a picture one of the organizers sent me. He said everyone really liked the food. So nice of him to text me!

8 Likes

And then I went to Bestia, which I loved. The ambience and space is awesome. The people are great, the service spot on, and the food as excellent as everyone says. FYI, they don’t serve Spanish wine, but they do have a very nice Italian table wine. :wink:

Chicken gizzards with beets and endive.

Terrible photo, but this the best meat dish I’ve had since I can remember.

Bread.

My new favorite bread, perfect char and chewiness.

Agnolotti all’ Agnello

I don’t know why they were black, the description said they were saffron parcels. Whatever, it was really good. Raisins and pine nuts in the sauce, tres Siciliano.

Casarecce al Pomodoro

Again, really good; great sauce. I really appreciate a well-made tomato sauce.

Thank you, @PorkyBelly, for the pasta recommendations. I am eating leftover pasta for breakfast right now. :yum:

8 Likes

awesome, glad you liked it. those gizzards are great. how was the wait?

1 Like

About 5 minutes! They found me a seat at the very end of the bar. People chatted with me while they tried to get a drink or waited for the bathroom. Good times. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They appear to have served you the Agnolotti alla Vaccinara instead of the Angolotti all’Agnello. Both are on the menu, and both cost the exact same; one comes with saffron parcels and lamb, and one comes with cacao parcels and oxtail. Otherwise they are the same dish though (burro fuso, grana padano, pine nuts, currants).

Kind of a funny mix up, should’ve sent it back haha

1 Like

That is funny! I just ate what was set before me. It took a while for the pasta and I was drinking wine. Ya know.

What wine were you drinking anyway? I usually quite enjoy drinking wine at Bestia.

It was 'Nella? An Italian table wine. It was perfect with all the courses. Like a good table wine should be. :slight_smile:

My favorite restaurants downtown are:

Drago Centro
Factory Kitchen
Officine Brera
Bestia
Redbird

My suggestion would be bar at one of the above other than Bestia – so hard to get a seat.

1 Like

[quote=“Alkiegourmand, post:18, topic:5018”]
Factory Kitchen
[/quote]Best porchetta ever.

[quote=“Bookwich, post:10, topic:5018”]
Skid row is really big! I thought it was just one street, but it covers entire blocks. I got a little lost. Everyone was very nice, though, and helped me get to where I was going. One guy asked if I was looking for the AA meeting
[/quote]Gurrl! Will you please be careful!?