Eater LA Essential Lists

Sheesh its just one online food site’s list. Even the legendary J Gold had places he’d leave off that I didn’t agree with. It’s just a list.

8 Likes

I’m rebelling and in the next two weeks I am going to eat at EVERY single restaurant NOT on that list…. TWICE.

5 Likes

5 Essential Eater LA Essential Lists:

• 18 Essential Los Angeles Pizzerias
  • 16 Essential Restaurants in Los Angeles’s Chinatown
  • 18 Essential Chinese Restaurants in Los Angeles
  • 16 Essential Hollywood Restaurants
  • 38 Essential Restaurants in Los Angeles
9 Likes

That was FABULOUS!

1 Like

No, I’m calling out the bullshit behind saying “I’m just trying to answer the question” while not even attempting to answer the question that was asked.

My point of view is and always has been that EaterLA staff should either (1) improve the quality of their content/listicles if they don’t like regularly seeing criticism posted here on FTC OR (2) refrain from getting defensive and arguing with FTC posters every fucking time the inevitable criticism of their listicles is brought-up here on FTC.

1 Like

We essential workers shall dub thee… The Non-Essential BangBanger

6 Likes

Yesterday’s update to the underground BBQ pop-up list missed that III Mas is gone because the guy moved back to Armenia.

1 Like

I’ll do the latter from now on. You can continue any and all criticism. We will listen and try our best. Let’s carry on before this thread becomes consumed by Tim Robinson. (seriously, watch the show, it’s funny)

3 Likes

I’ll flag this, thanks.

1 Like

I would totally read this

1 Like

Brodard moved to Fountain Valley like 4 years ago and there hasn’t been a Brodard Group resto at the original Westminster location in at least 3 when their vegan concept shuttered, but this listicle was updated today? At least we’re onto “Incredible” so there’s no reason to raise an eyebrow at some of the omissions…

1 Like

That’s a pretty damn good list!

3 Likes

Jeet you are the little saigon master, I am framing this comment and putting it on my wall

3 Likes

Thanks for the note about Brodard, that’s a good call-out. Went ahead and updated it. I personally made a note to never include the original Brodard location because of their staff/service running the risk of turning people off if that’s their first experience eating in Little Saigon. Had a couple really bad incidents there, FV so far has been much better. I think another writer might have edited it (I go on these long Eater hiatuses and they are gracious enough to update) which might explain it.

ps I like the bougie Brodard better, anyway.

2 Likes

@matthewkang Eunice told me she’s going to start being the “what about the Valley?” commenter on everything, so brace yourself. Pretty sure she’s going to drop one on the Little Saigon map

3 Likes

Really? I never had anything but positive experiences there, and in fact my retired Boomer parents used to specifically request going there (both OG location as well as upgraded FV location) regularly…until Oc & Lau usurped its place as “that really good Vietnamese place we both like” :rofl:

I found the waitstaff patient and friendly, and the menu has lots of good pictures…What incidents did you have there?!

This was prior to the remodeling of that location (so way, way long ago), basically just solicitors going around all the time making diners uncomfortable. My final straw was when one of them touched my mom inappropriately while we were eating and wait staff did nothing. Didn’t even kick him out. Why would I recommend a place with that experience (even though the food is pretty damn good) when you can get the same experience for a little bit of money without that kind of bullshit happening?

2 Likes

An essential Little Saigon experience

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

So if I understand you correctly, you’re saying you’ve basically blacklisted Brodard from ever being included in any EaterLA listicles you’re compiling because like 20 years ago you and your mother had a bad experience being accosted there by somebody who was unaffiliated with the restaurant?

You guys make mainstream foodie nerds look like AOLers discovering Usenet in 1993.

3 Likes