Farmers market, currently in season PSA

I’ve never been (I think I walked by randomly once), but there appears to be one FM’s market in DTLA on Sundays:

http://www.sfma.net (2nd listing)

There is also one at USC:
https://green.usc.edu/get-involved/farmers-market/

Maybe the western parts of the SGV might have some farmer’s markets?

1 Like

Adding to the Culver City FM info - they also have a vendor who sells a large selection of herbs, vegetables, peppers & fruit plants for the garden. I’m not sure what the man’s name is but his spot is in the middle of the market and hard to miss.

I call this Passing Seasons Fruit Salad… okay not really, but I only make it a certain time of the year because the window for pomegranate (stehly farms), blueberries (cortez farms) and mangos (?) to be in season at the same time is small.

Tossed w/juice from the mango & squirt of lime juice.

5 Likes

They’re Back! Sorta…

Still a very low yield.

6 Likes

I know everyone loves them but they don’t really get great until at least mid spring for me anyway

6 Likes

Agreed. I remember one year grabbing them too early and they were not nearly as good as I remembered. Tried again a few weeks later and they were great.

4 Likes

I got delicious organic camarosa strawberries from smith farms at Torrance farmers market on Saturday. Maybe not peak summer ripe but the sweetest and ripest off-season strawberry ive tasted.

Talked to the farmer and he said they get strawberry plants from high altitudes in Oregon and wait for them to freeze and hibernate in the winter. Then they ship them and plant them in socal, with the warm temp change it tricks the plants into thinking it’s spring. He says his best crops will be probably in a couple weeks as these are early batches.

Check ‘em out at your local fm. He gives free samples so you can try before you buy!

10 Likes

I got one the last boxes at the Venice farmers market last Friday. No, not as good as they will be in a few months, but we’re still enjoying them!

2 Likes

That’s what I figured lol but I found it amusing that they were all gone before 9am. Bev Hills opens to seniors at 8:30a and the general public at 9am.

1 Like

green garlic is starting to come out!! My favorite time of year

3 Likes

Got a bundle and have been putting it in everything.:green_heart:

2 Likes

Ah Venice doesn’t have early opening for seniors. There were maybe six boxes left 30 minutes after opening time.

1 Like

The cherries from Tuesday Torrance fm were :fire: last of the season

I believe they are from Mendez?

Also bought gaviotas from tamai and sons. I asked the farmer and he mentioned that the farmer on sundays “tamai farms” is part of the same family but is a son, possibly Roy? that owns his own farm. The third generation are the ones mostly farming now apparently. They confirmed that they are completely no spray, super sweet berries

Tenerelli had awesom apricots and the stone fruit from Ken’s was definitely “ top notch”

8 Likes

Farmers Market PSA: Dream Farms now at BHFM

This is the stand I’ve been waiting for at the BHFM (close to mid-city). The Moua’s Farm stand sells a variety of produce for Asian cooking (vegetables, chiles, herbs) in the same vein as Ramone’s Family Farms at CCFM. When I stumbled upon them last Sunday I was tempted to change my whole menu plan for the week, but already had a basket of stuff, so. But! I had to get these…

Stuffed & fried ‘em with a few leftover for salad.

6 Likes