Farmers market, currently in season PSA

Gorgeous

1 Like

What a wonderful spread of salads! They all look great.

1 Like

Hi Farmers Marketers!

What stands are you getting your Oranges and Apples from this season? I haven’t been to FM as regularly as over the summer but what I’ve had hasn’t knocked my socks off. The best Oranges I’ve had have been from friend’s & family’s trees, and I’m getting spoiled by the Apples & Pears at Gelsons but they’re so expensive.

Thanks!

1 Like

See canyon are my favorites! When they have Hass avocados they are usually extra rich in flavor

2 Likes

Windrose Farm at SMFM have my favorite apples

2 Likes

Some specialty citrus from Mud Creek Ranch

image image

2 Likes

Which market was this? I’ve never seen fresh yuzu.

If you see Seville (sour) oranges, I would love to know!

This morning at Wednesday Santa Monica FM.

Must be the end of the season. They look very ripe but still smelled great

1 Like

There’s a few vendors with sour oranges but not necessarily Seville.

How are they different?

I think it’s just slightly different varietals and there may be some naming differences based on hybrids.
As there is a citrus research station in SoCal at UC Riverside, it wouldn’t surprise me if things got crossed. At the Santa Monica Wednesday market, Mud Creek has the most interesting selections of citrus. There’s also a vendor on very the west end of the market that specialize in citrus too.
Some of the vendors simply mark their displays as “sour oranges.”

1 Like

Just spotted at Wednesday Santa Monica farmers market -JJ’s lone daughter ranch stand

1 Like

heading to santa monica farmers market on wednesday for the first time. any recs or special vendors?

Take your time, look around. They all specialize in something!

Coleman farms- Lettuce, herbs

Flora Bella- plums radishes ect

Wieser - potatoes, melons…

Windrose farms - varies, they are very seasonal but they always have something interesting

Mud Creek Ranch - citrus and hard to find varieties.

Trying not to repeat the ones that get lots of mentions but they are worth checking out of course!

4 Likes

Tenerelli for peaches and nectarines

Murray Family Farms - all kinds of heirloom grapes (unfortunately their cherry season is finished for this year)

Yasutomo - Japanese vegetables and herbs

5 Likes

Does anyone know if Andy’s Orchard is coming this year? They always have some of the best stone fruit and cherries as well

I like the eggs from Mike and sons as well

My favorite out of season tomatoes come from Beylik i think the flavor is just outstanding

Bezian Bakery makes my favorite sourdough bread.

Garlic & Chives and Date & Pecan are my favorites

He rotates the flavors but weekly he has different breads that undergo a three week refrigerated ferment. Delicious

Yup, they’ve been back for the season for about a month. Tail end of cherries and apricots now, just starting with nectarines/peaches. They’ve been moved around the corner onto Arizona.

1 Like

To save time, I’ve been pre-ordering $15 produce boxes from Tamai Family Farms.

I’ve been doing curbside pickup at the SaMo Farmer’s Market on Wed & Sat - Julia of Tamai Farms meets me in the Santa Monica parking structure #2 at 2nd Street & drops off the produce box in my car trunk.

I’ve also tried curbside pickup at the Mar Vista Farmer’s Market, but find the SaMo #2 garage pickup quicker & easier (MV Market pickup requires one to walk up to Inglewood St.). There are other pickup locations in LA County listed on their website.

The $15 produce box above is advertised for 1-2ppl, which is plenty for me. They also have larger boxes.

Pre-Order Link: Tamai Family Farms

5 Likes

I do the same from Tamai and pick up from Clementine, which offers curbside pickup! I’ve been alternating between the $15 produce box and mixing and matching items as well.

2 Likes