Fast Food Thread

My sister (who is less charitable than I am, if you can believe that!) calls it a tax on the stupid.

That said, I’m buying a Mega Millions ticket tomorrow. Because I have $2 and a dream.

2 Likes

The lottery is the thing math teachers point to when they’re asked “When will I ever need this?”

That said, I consider throwing a couple bucks at a big prize like this the same as putting a quarter in a video game. my $.25 is buying me 10 minutes of distraction and entertainment. The ticket is buying me a couple of days of “I won’t win, but IF I DO…” fantasizing.

4 Likes

Or a slot machine. I’m not gambling my Social Security checks, so I feel okay about essentially throwing a little money into a wishing well.

1 Like

See, I think not. I’ve been to Vegas. I’ve played slots. I don’t get it. I put in a dollar and I get… 5 seconds of flashing lights and such and 5 seconds of ‘If I win….’

… and that’s it. I get more value from Donkey Kong.

But then, I don’t ‘get’ gambling in general. Must be all those math classes.

2 Likes

We lived in CA/NV for probably 15 years and we loved our ‘slots.’ Video poker mainly. Loved it and miss it. But I’ve read that a lot people play the lottery actually NEED to win. They’re more tickets/$$$ than they can afford. They was one a couple of years ago that was close to a billion and we each bought A ticket. Won nothing. But I did wonder briefly about all the “good deeds” I could accomplish and still have my own jet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel you. And I very rarely gamble. But sometimes you don’t even have the brain power for roulette, let alone blackjack.

I’ve been watching old Carol Burnett shows via Tubi, and one of the unfortunate consequences is that I’m seeing commercials again.

But relevant to this discussion, it seems that Spicy Chicken Nuggets are back at McDonald’s, if that’s your thing. Further, you can get them or a chicken sandwich or a big mac or a 10 pc regular nuggets w/ $2 purchase, ONLY through the app.

Still not worth giving them all my data. And it keeps me from eating fast food so often, which is probably for the best.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s my changing taste, or if it’s a serious decline in quality, but I find most fast food disgusting these days. I grew up on fast food, and even in recent years, have fairly regularly hit a drive thru for a quick meal. Burgers are a favorite of mine, and I remember a time years ago when I stopped at Carls Jr. every morning at 5:00 for a burger on my way into work. The Sourdough Jack at JITB has also been a go-to for me. I have been highly disappointed in both as of late. For burgers, the local (Jim’s, Tom’s, etc.) type places and INO seem to be the only places that can scratch that burger itch. Same with Mexican. I actually used to enjoy some Del Taco once in awhile. I stopped for a late night snack last night for my lovely bride, and I wished I had just made a quesadilla at home or something. Is it just me?

1 Like

I’ve never understood the expectation for anything really good that is ready in 2 minutes. Even 5 minutes. OTOH, In n Out works like a well oiled machine. Even with 30-40 cars in front of me I receive a pretty decent product within 10-12 minutes. My left brain figures it’s BECAUSE they’re so busy that they have freshly cooked patties coming through consistently. Then again, how long does it take to cook a 1/3” burger patty?

2 Likes

Totally understood, and I never expected pheasant under glass, but it seems that there’s been a recent decline in quality. Those places used to scratch a certain itch every now and then. Now, not even close.

gotta be in the right state of mind for max fast food satisfaction

4 Likes

Certainly, some things have changed. Burger King, in particular, seems to have reformulated towards a lower price point, and the quality has taken the requisite hit.

McDonalds tastes the same as it always has (minus the whole beef tallow in the fries thing).

Taco Bell continues to stack the same spice mix, random protein, cheap cheese and industrial lettuce and tomato onto similarly industrial carbs in random combos and low(ish) price points to appeal to drunks and stoners everywhere.

I don’t think it’s particularly worse (or better) than it’s ever been as a category. It’s chief appeal is consistency and irresponsible levels of sugar, salt, and fat. I know what I’m getting if I order a Big Mac. As long as it continues to deliver to expectations, it’s done it’s job.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Free Egg Roll with any in-app purchase at Jack in the Box with offer code SAVEPOTATOES 8/19-8/21

1 Like

For national cheeseburger day on Sunday 9/18, I’m going to binge. So far the plan is to buy the minimum required to get the freebie.

Current plan:

• McDonalds $1 Any size drink and a free double cheeseburger
  • Burger King 8pc nugget for $1.50 free cheeseburger
  • JitB $2 jumbo Jack
  • Wendy’s $1 boo book free Daves Single
3 Likes

What is the wendys boo book?

$1 and you get 5 coupons for free jr frosties. Charity thing.

3 Likes

I might check out Farmer Boys, live near one but never tried their food.

$2 Big Cheese, 2pm - 6pm, Saturday, September 17, limit 4, not valid on mobile or delivery, get same offer on app if you scan receipt.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up I’m buying one!

1 Like