Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Just because they can demand that something get changed, doesn’t mean they should. To me, this is P.C. gone overboard.

2 Likes

My Chinese wife is still trying to figure out what is offensive about Trader Ming’s. The answer: nothing at all. My wife says: “it sounds authentic!” Just wannabe-cool people ignoring real problems like gang violence and drug abuse and creating fake problems to feel good about their self-righteousness.

3 Likes

There’s minivans of unmarked goons in military garb kidnapping people off the street. I’m gonna let Trader Jose’s taco shells slide. I would love for that to be a large issue because there’s no real problems.

Growing up on sci-fi, I’d always wince when seeing the villain, “Ming the Merciless” in the old black and white version of “Flash Gordon” (I skipped the 1980 film reboot).

However, the emergence of accomplished individuals such as chef/author Ming Tsai and actress Ming Na-Wen have blunted negative associations with the name.

3 Likes

Back to actual TJ products, I recently tried their non-dairy frozen dessert made from oatmilk with bits of almond brittle and candied strawberries. Very smooth without any strange aftertaste despite using pea protein. A drawback for me is it’s 260 calories per 2/3 cup.

2 Likes

Trader Joe’s decides virtue-signaling is not enough to make them change their product names:
https://www.traderjoes.com/announcement/a-note-about-our-product-naming

1 Like

I’m really pleased to hear that TJ’s has not succumbed to the cancel culture trend. I never thought “Trader Giotto’s, Trader Ming’s” and such were offensive in any way, and it’s great that TJ management has stated that they’re all in fun and that they have no intention of changing them. Good for them.

3 Likes

They said the names were non-racist fun, they discontinued “some of the older names or products [that] just weren’t connecting or selling very well,” and they “do not make decisions based on petitions.”

So it’s not clear which if any of the brands on the petition they plan to drop.

Dear Lord, I hit the Jewish motherlode of snacks!!

4 Likes

Those are really good. I was afraid they would be too salty… but they aren’t… I’m not even a huge fan of the Everything But… spice shaker. It tasted ‘off’ to everything I add it to.

Another great find recently was the sesame crusted smoked tuna. We used it to make a Poke Bowl… outstanding…

2 Likes

Yum!

As long as we are talking about sesame seeds, my snacker wife also got some kind of honey sesame cashews.

4 Likes

The Sesame Honey Cashews were my kryptonite. I stopped buying them because they were too irresistible.

@Dommy I love the Sesame crusted smoked tuna as well. A welcome new addition. I also like TJs pastrami smoked salmon.

I bought the new Focaccia Primavera in the freezer section to try. It’s filled with spinach, cauliflower, egg whites, and cheeses. I hope it’s tasty!

5 Likes

I picked up one of these as well last weekend too—looks interesting. I’m also hoping that it’ll be good as leftovers (maybe for breakfast w/ eggs) as it looks large enough for several servings.

3 Likes

OMG! Thanks! I hadn’t heard of this one at all! I love Focaccia and have always been impressed by Trader Joe’s frozen bread items. They used to sell these perfect mini baguettes. ACK! How I miss!

–Dommy!

2 Likes

this looks like less of a typical bread item and more like, for lack of a better description, a large pie shaped calzone— I still haven’t tried it, but snagged this photo from online

3 Likes

Wow! That is unique looking… Thank you! I would have passed over it for sure!

ok— I finally got around to trying this the other night and it’s going to be a pass. The filling was tasty (reminded me of a spinach soufflé) but the crust was bland and hard as a rock by the time the inside/filling was hot enough. it was also much smaller once I took it out of the box— in this case a good thing as I didn’t enjoy it at all.

3 Likes

Bah!! Thanks for the follow up. That sucks about the crust! That is why I love Focaccia! It’s anything but bland! If you still have some… maybe brush some flavored olive oil on it…

Darn! Thanks for the report back. I might try defrosting mine in the microwave then popping it in the toaster oven to finish.

the dough was too hard— almost like a shell. I think brushing oil on top of it would just make it worse. I thought it would be a softer dough— more like a pizza crust or actual focaccia!!