Favorites at Trader Joe's?

that might work for keeping the dough softer and more pliable

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/5438

Trader Joeā€™s used to carry Double Rainbow Ultra Chocolate. I believe this is the same thing with a house label. Excellent.

Just tried it and had a different reaction. About 25 minutes in the toaster oven at 375Ā° on the frozen pizza setting produced a crust that was crispy at the edges but not rock hard at all. For me the problem with it was a rather bland filling. Itā€™s basically a sort of spinach quiche but it lacked flavor to my palate. To each his/her own I guess. I kept thinking I wished I had some marina or something similar to dip it In. This is a maybe for future buying.

3 Likes

I put mine in the oven, so no frozen pizza setting----I wish it was just crispy at the edges and soft in the middle. I agree, it could use some marinara

My focaccia report back: microwave/toaster oven combo worked well. Agree that the filling could be more flavorful. Would be nice with tomato soup or a tomato relish or chutney. I tucked some of TJs Italian Bomba Hot Pepper Sauce between the crust and filling for a kick.

4 Likes

Chicken Ginger Miso Soup = meh!

The broth was decent enough with some soy sauce added but the chicken was shredded almost beyond recognition and the veggies were cooked beyond death. With pho and ramen shops everywhere this is a non starter.

I tried the corn poblano chowder today. it was flavorful and had a nice chili zipā€¦ but could have used some more corn kernels and chunks of potato. I sprinkled some cheddar on top and it was a nice lunch. Would have been better with a biscuit or sourdough and butter on the side.

1 Like

Good to know! Was this a refrigerated soup? I tried the Plant based Pozole the other dayā€¦ HORRID. Avoid.

itā€™s def pozole weather! sounds good in theory

Itā€™s in the soup section in a box. As I mentioned, it could use a little tweaking but overall decent. I saw that pozoleā€” but ended up passing as I wasnā€™t convinced it would be good

Most of their soups (and other prepared foods) have such high sodium counts that I tend to avoid them. Actually, the clam chowder in the fridge isnā€™t too bad either (but could use more clams).

1 Like

now that Iā€™m looking at the photo of the box that I posted, the soup looks much chunkier than it actually is. if it was THAT chunky, I would have been happier.

Totally agreeā€¦ Although I do like their low sodium boxed soups like the Tomato Red Pepper one as a topper to their frozen meatballs. The salt balances out, especially if you put it on top of their frozen brown rice (0 Sodium). it was my emergency meal at the station for many years since it could be stored in the freezer / pantry.

ā€“Dommy!

They donā€™t seem to carry the mini dark chocolate mint coins at my TJā€™s, but they do have a seasonal item thatā€™s pretty much the same BUT BETTER because itā€™s star shaped and and has crunchy sprinkles on it. If you like Thin Mints, then these cookies are for you.

6 Likes

I canā€™t recall if TJā€™s Everything Bagels have been reviewed here but we find them to be the best of the packaged ā€˜supermarketā€™ bagels. Theyā€™re kettle-boiled which makes a big difference. Not as good as ā€˜realā€™ bagels but close enough these days. I hesitate to look into why but they also last at least two weeks on the kitchen counter, which is way longer than most of the bread we get.

Iā€™d read that Costco sells kettle-boiled bagels too but have never found them here in the OC.

4 Likes

We also like these. We buy, slice, and freeze right away, though.

Probably ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

See anything here that would explain the longevity?

The last two.

1 Like

If those are the ones at the Marina del Rey/Culver City Costco, theyā€™re very meh. Havenā€™t had the TJ ones, so I canā€™t compare.

I think that sounds right as to where. Actually we have a great ā€˜realā€™ bagel place just minutes from us. I should just buy them and freeze them but they close early and I keep forgetting. :roll_eyes:

1 Like