Favorites at Trader Joe's?

This does seem like quite a lot in a short time like you mentioned but if you read The Secret Life of Groceries the author points out that Trader Joe’s has a high rate of recalls:

Two different food safety experts I spoke with told me the unofficial FDA nickname for the chain is Recall Joe’s. And while the FDA won’t comment on that specifically, it’s clear from a survey of its publicly available list of food recalls that when it comes to quality assurance, the chain is anything but above average. So I shop there, yes. But I’m not here to exalt the experience.

3 Likes

I’m skeptical that Trader Joe’s is below average as far as recalls go.

1 Like

New freezer staple.

6 Likes

Niiice, looks dangerous.

Better than the Costco ones?

Costco has Brazilian cheese balls? What?

1 Like

5 Likes

Pao de queijo!

2 Likes

fascinating. Will have to do a side by side! thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

YES. I perfer the trader joes ones to the Brazilian Bites ones. BB come in pucks. Sometimes they don’t puff or they get overcooked. Trader Joes comes pre-puffed, instructions are immaculate.

8 Likes

These are the BEST with Chili or Tomato Soup. SO GOOD.

5 Likes

This is a brilliant idea. I will be making this combination during soup season.

3 Likes

A few people have raved about the croissants at Trader Joe’s so we had to try them. Chocolate croissant. Let it proof overnight for 9 hours. The croissants puffed up a lot. Pretty nice color on the outside but no egg wash. There were some nice layers but the middle of the croissant did not fully bake.

Not bad but I’d rather just spend the extra few bucks and get a proper croissant at a bakery or vienosserie.

7 Likes

When I read the first part of your post and then looked at the pic, I was like, “That’s a croissant???”

Thanks for taking one for the team…

2 Likes

I like them just fine, and IME they do bake fully in the center – as long as they’ve been fully baked per the directions to a darkish brown on the outside – golden brown = underbaked) As far as getting one at a bakery or patisserie, that’s only really good if you can get them hot out of the oven, or close to it. Once they’ve been sitting around a while, quality drops steeply.

Definitely could have used a few more minutes and it would have been better. User error. We made 2 out of the 4 croissants. My wife cut the instructions out of the box and put the other croissants somewhere in the freezer. I was lazy and couldn’t find the instructions.

2 Likes

Red Boat Kho sauce

The hot Hatch chile and Jalapeño dip is really good and one of the spiciest things I’ve ever bought in a chain grocery store.

The tirokafteri and pimento dip tasted pretty bland after that but might be fine on their own, I’ll try again separately.

4 Likes

I bought that Mildly Sweet & Spicy Beef & Broccoli because people here like it and found it surprisingly good, sort of a mashup of old-school Chinese-American restaurant broccoli beef and sweet and sour pork with some chiles thrown in. The broccoli was al dente and some of the beef was crunchy. Sweet and sour were balanced. I’ve had lots of Chinese takeout that was not as good.

1 Like

yeah, it’s actually decent as well as their kung pow chicken and orange chicken… and I agree, probably better than many of the Chinese/american places locally. good for a quick week night dinner