February 2020 Rundown

Yeah trying to do too many things. I was attracted to it because it was on the “seasonal menu”, come to think of it I’m not sure what is really seasonal about waffles and eggs…

I had some version of those waffles a few weeks ago. Definitely too much going on.

I’m surprised pcp has stayed open this long. They’ve gone through so many chefs and the menu multiple iterations.

Used to be my spot until the first generation FOH filtered out.

1 Like

Their coffee is crap.

Went to Il Romanista yesterday, grabbed 2 slices since I planned to eat again soon.
I really enjoyed the crispy, decent chew of the crust! I definitely will be back.
Anyone know of the best way to reheat these since I bought 4 slices to eat tonight?

I then headed to Pizzeria Mozza to eat the off menu Ugly Drum / Mozza pizzette collab. I loved it, it’s smaller than their regular pizza, it’s one of the best pastrami sandwiches I’ve had Haha! :joy:

-ugly drum pastrami, onion caraway cream, caciocavallo, sauerkraut, pickled mustard seed

16 Likes

Call Il Romanista. Luigi, the chef owner… Really nice guy, he’ll tell you exactly how to reheat it.

6 Likes

I usually use my toaster oven 300 to get warm for a couple of minutes and then blast it at 425 for about 2-3 minutes to get the cheese bubbling/slight browning of crust.

5 Likes

Went to J Zhou today. They closed off all the auxiliary rooms to the left and private rooms. The dining room was about 40% full. Coronavirus seems to be having a big impact on business.

I went to J Zhou exactly 5 weeks ago for lunch on a Thursday. The dining room was about 90% full and they had all of the auxiliary rooms open and people in the private rooms as well.

Everything was still very good.

3 Likes

Man I’ll be honest I haven’t hit up any SGV restaurants for weeks

My intern’s mom is in town…originally from the Sichuan province but currently living in Portland, she refuses to go to any Chinese restaurants while she’s here.

1 Like

Iki Ramen

Burata - really nicely done, the yuzu and pickled tomato was super refreshing and balanced. Sweet, creamy, bright, rich and complex, such a great appetizer :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Crispy Rice Spicy Tuna

Burnt Garlic Ramen - whoa, this was pretty darn tasty, the burnt garlic gave the broth a nutty flavor which was quite unique. :heart_eyes: I also like that I didn’t really need to add any other toppings, it came with pretty much what I wanted. The chashu was thick and provided a nice punch of pork flavor with each bite.

Kaisen Don - decent enough, I’d rather plunge into another bowl of ramen.

Gus’s Fried Chicken

Three Piece w/ Mac and Cheese and Greens

Don’t tell me that chicken doesn’t look utterly fuckin delicious :drooling_face: Tastes as good as it looks and each piece was tender and slightly spicy. Their chicken is a tad salty, not enough to be considered overly salty though.

Still awesome, and fuck was this good with this Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Amor Y Tacos

Mole Tots - go really well with a cold Modelo.

Short Rib Taquitos - yum, the green sauce was spicy enough yet so flavorful. Love these. I like that there is enough meat and you can definitely taste the flavor of the short rib.

Alta Adams

Collard Greens and Shaved Vegetable Salad - really good and the collard greens were tender with each bite. The dressing was nutty and balanced.

Fried Chicken - pretty tasty although given my choice, Gus’s is not far away.

Shrimp and Grits - average, nice shrimp flavor and the grits were super rich but at times solidified to the point of custard consistency. Flavor was butter. The grits they chose was a nice coarse grind which I enjoyed, just wish it wasn’t so thick.

Chinchinkurin

Hiroshima Okonomiyaki - beer food

Charcoal

Really excellent fries!

9 Likes

Was it @paranoidgarliclover who got a coupe pies from il romanista and re-heated them? I remember someone did this

why is that? Afraid she is not going to want to go back to Portland!

1 Like

LOL…because she’s crazy?

2 Likes

Great pics! There was a short lived but very good ramen place in Van Nuys, Ramen Omae, that did burnt garlic miso ramen. So very good, but they packed up and moved to Vegas. A downscale neighborhood choice IMO.

That seems atypical the only thing that most of my Chinese family friends seem to like eating is more Chinese food.

:woman_shrugging:t2: It is atypical. She’s proceeding with coronavirus paranoia.

3 Likes

Nope, not me. Did ask a question about reheating something awhile back, but have not yet been to Il Romanista (and would like to go after seeing these delicious-looking pics…) ::sigh::

You may be thinking of me from another thread:

“Chef/owner told me people would stock up on whole sheets on fridays so they could reheat for NFL Sunday. I think he said he had instructions for the best way to do this”

2 Likes

Bootleg Pizza

Thick “naturally leavened” (per their IG) “Jersey-style” (per Eater) square slices:

Shared two slices of cheese, one sausage and peppers (pictured), and one BBQ chicken special. I thought it was pretty nice - bready but still crispy on the edges, not as absurdly cheesy/greasy as Detroit style but scratching a similar itch. All around enjoyable, though I don’t know if it’s a style I crave or would go out of my way to track down. Fun if convenient, good if that’s your thing.

2 Likes

Thanks @ebethsdad, I actually went to Omae a couple times. While I did think it was good ramen, my ventures to Le Valley are not too frequent and felt the need to not have ramen out that way, especially when there is, IMO better ramen closer in Orange County and South Bay.

Didn’t know they moved to Vegas. I had Monta in Vegas and that broth had to be one of the richest, fattiest tonkatsu broths I have ever had, almost smoothie like in consistency.

Have you tried Iki burnt garlic, it is pretty darn good.

1 Like