February 2020 Rundown

the best!

1 Like

@attran99 Thank you for the TAO Ramen rec. I had been hearing about this place through various channels and had been looking forward going. So much so that I crushed not one, but two bowls–a first for me.

Red Miso Ramen + Egg

Tsukemen

This is legit ramen. They wok-fry the veg in the Sapporo style for the miso ramen.
The location is not convenient at all for me, but I am trying to find a way to get back and try the White Miso Ramen.

My Current Top 5 LA Ramen:

1. Venice Ramen
  2. TAO
  3. Tsujita
  4. Josui
  5. Jidaiya
10 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds

:exploding_head:

haven’t heard of that since the Mottainai days.

1 Like

RIP Mottainai

2 Likes

The search function isn’t working on my phone, so if someone wants to move this to the croissant thread, okay.

These are the best croissants I’ve had in Los Angeles. Me and the boy actually were in a conversation with a small crowd of people about how great they are and which are the favorites. Highly recommend.

And the baguettes are also amazing.

10 Likes

For bread, I have been all about Clark Street since they opened their brick & mortar on Glendale and coffee shop in the old Winsome space. Baguettes only $4!

4 Likes

My little elementary-aged boulangerie connoisseur at home is tearing through these baguettes.

8 Likes

Carbs carbs and carbs!

Got invited to dinner last night at Grand Golden Bay Seafood (Union City) and the biggest hit at the table was the double egg golden fried rice.

Egg white and egg yolk shreds, some salted fish, and plenty of wok hay. Some XO sauce would have sent this to the moon.

China Bee in downtown San Mateo is a Taiwanese eatery that has been around a while and is one of the last of its kind. The beef and tendon noodle soup is a bit like A&J of lore, except the cuts of beef were lean, chunky, over cooked and not textured too well, but the tendons, broth, and chewy noodles were good

One McChelin Star Maum in Palo Alto. Their version of the Hayato kamameshi course: eel and anchovies rice, and it is quite stellar

15 Likes

Salivating…

1 Like

So glad you enjoyed it! I adore the place and go once a month. Did you have a chance to try their TAO concoction? In excess, it packs quite the wallop, but I think I’m more of a lightweight when it comes to spice and heat. But I do love the flavor and taste of it.
And I bow to your ramen-eating spirit! I don’t know if I could handle it…even though, I so want to try.

1 Like

Is the concoction the spicy red ball condiment? I didn’t try that yet.

As for the two bowls in one visit, I wanted to try it because a lot of the ramen people that I follow on Insta will put away two, or even three bowls in a single sitting.

I was happy to try both bowls and managed to finish them, but I will be sticking to just one bowl from now on.

2 Likes

Yes, the TAO is the spicy red ball condiment. When you order the spicy version, they plop the whole ball into your bowl…I did that and while it was super good, my palate was overwhelmed halfway through the bowl. I’ve taken to ordering it on the side and applying it in doses…I like that much more.

2 Likes

Leichi is one of our low key kappo izakaya places, where the chef actually has some kaiseki training from a restaurant in Tokyo (I forgot the name).

During the winter season they get in (farmed) fugu and they do a ten course omakase with a few fugu centric items. Did that two years ago, but a friend who works there gave me a nibble of fugu gelee to go with my sake

Next, the nightly specials fish. Kinmedai, Inada, Suzuki

Deep fried oysters with house made tartar sauce

Signature and on the regular menu, goma tofu with uni. Soooooo good, especially the texture, stickiness, and the balance with the dashi. The uni is an afterthought here

A rare encounter where they actually had kinmedai head available, nitsuke dat chit for me please

Hand made Zara soba with tempura. I keep forgetting to ask the percentage buckwheat and wheat flour … for what they offer and given the location, can’t complain. Got too used to Soba Ichi though, but this was a nice closer.

14 Likes

Dibs on kinki eyeballs!

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :blush:

1 Like

True, I’ll take kinki nitsuke and its eyeballs over kinmedai :smiley:… but over here can’t complain much since it’s already a treat!

2 Likes

Meh tacos at Ave 26 Taco Stand but I love the potato freebie

Tire Shop

Super fine pizza at Superfine Pizza

16 Likes

Paramount coffee project/prime bang bang lunch

Hollandaise ham waffle was not very good (shoulda listened to my inner monologue). Sad since almost everything else at pcp tastes great. Had to compensate with a grandma slice xtra crispy

Dinner at animal veal tar tar, chicken liver and sweet potato were outstanding. Charred cabbage, chorizo and cheese, and dessert were pretty meh

6 Likes

Greens on a waffle just ain’t right . Brown hollandaise. :exploding_head:

1 Like