February 2020 Rundown

Wow, incredible wines. I have a bottle of Chateau d’Yquem waiting for the cake at my daughter’s wedding. Latour! My father had some '59 but it was gone before I could drink. Food looks great, but that wine!!!

3 Likes

Living your best life…

1 Like

Yep, especially upgrading from white meat to dark meat chicken thigh at Ming Kee!

That was the aftermath. Doubt I’ll be drinking like that ever again (it was a private party for someone’s very special occasion).

@ebethsdad d’Yquem is freakin amazing. The 2005 could be aged even longer, but it’s already fantastic now, perfect balance of botrytis and not too sweet, smooth and complex. Everyone got nice adequate pours to taste, and luckily it was enough. Hope you pop open a 2001 vintage magnum for your daughter’s wedding!

2 Likes

Tacos 1986 (Westwood Village): Adobada, carne asada in the back, horchata…

No Joy on the night I went, but that didn’t matter. Sergio has trained his crew well, 'cuz the food was damn tasty. The place was constantly busy, but no long queues on my visit, either. At $3.25 per taco, this place can cause some serious damage the average college kid’s budget.

8 Likes

i call it my customized porkybelly sushi sleeping bag.

3 Likes

AKA PorkyBurrito…

4 Likes

Must be out of my mind buying these for $15 at Bristol Farms. But they are delicious. Didn’t have the variety but I think they are gaviota. I rationalize this by making pbnj sandwiches for Knott’s Berry Farm today and not spending the same amount or more money on crappy expensive amusement park food.

9 Likes

that’s crazy

1 Like

Goddamn motherfucking @Gr8pimpin!

10 Likes

Haha. I went today at 7:30am just to make sure @PorkyBelly and @Gr8pimpin didn’t take all the bacon.

6 Likes

As my rabbi used to say when I was a kid, the early Jew gets the pork.

I was there at 7:15am but made sure I left you some.

7 Likes

Tried the Tartine bread recipe again. After a few yrs of bread baking, I’ve determined the whatever yeast I’m cultivating seem in the low 70s or below (temp wise) and don’t have much oomph for a second rise. So I did the whole folding thing for 3+ hrs and then threw it in the fridge overnight (well, more like 12+ hrs) before tossing it in the oven. Still a bit over proofed, but better oven spring than normal, and the crumb structure is also better than I usually get. And it hasn’t yet gotten rock hard on Day 2 of eating. :slight_smile:

Belle Vie had grilled lobster + forbidden rice yesterday. Yum! A touch overcooked, perhaps, but still very good.

10 Likes

yep, wish i had another one. breakfast futomaki > breakfast burrito. i said it.

4 Likes

Sounds like it kept well.

Anniversary at Musso’s. Valentines Day at Petit Trois Valley.

16 Likes

Welcome back! We missed you!

9 Likes

Was at the Walgreen’s up the street today and saw a taco pop-up setting up. As the wife is out I

checked it out. Four tacos for $5.00! ( I tipped them $6.00 to encourage them to come back) Asada, star of the show cooked there over charcoal, pollo, chorizo, and al pastor - great salsas too. @Nemroz its across the street from Gumri’s although considering the pictures you have posted of Gumri’s food I doubt you would have any appetite for tacos afterwards.

5 Likes

Miss Nicks so! We used to rent right by there and could walk to breakfast. (Oh the warmed butter for pancakes, yum!)

1 Like

Happy Anniversary and Valentine’s Day!

2 Likes

Sister in law Birthday party catered by @banhxeoboys, 2 guys cranking out banh crispy banh xeo.
So glad it wasn’t your usual meh taco guy. Comes with salad bar and nuoc mam condiments

12 Likes