February 2020 Rundown

Quick run down to Tijuana and Valle de Guadelupe

Erizo cevcichria
Ollie’s pizza
Birria el cunuado
Fauna

14 Likes

Ugh, who do we blame for the papyrus font?

4 Likes

I was in Valle this weekend as well! Fauna was outstanding.

2 Likes

Zacatecas is great. The waiters there are all funny, nice and warm. Great place.

Carnitas and garlic shrimp plates were enjoyed by all.

4 Likes

I keep forgetting to take some Tupperware containers to steal some of that salsa.

1 Like

Do you think that’s kosher? They are dumping the leftover salsa anyway, right?

1 Like

Kosher style

:wink:

1 Like

Nice glad you enjoyed it too. That is definitely my favorite restaurant down there.

Which other wineries/restaurants did you visit?

Went to Tesse last night. Their chestnut soup with kouign amann (like, there’s one in the soup and one on the side and they both go so damn well with the soup, which is an umami bomb on its own) was absolutely incredible. If I lived closer I’d pop in just for that dish.

3 Likes

We had amazing tacos at Tacos El Yaqui in Rosarito on the way in. Big flour tortillas, hand made, with grilled carne asada, guac, etc. Just delicious.

The wineries we went to were largely okay. I mean, they were BEAUTIFUL and fun places to drink, but none of the wine was great. Monte Xanic was probably the best.

Then we had a great breakfast at Dona Esthela on the way out. People rave about the machaca, which was good, but the borrega tatemado–a shredded lamb dish with fresh flour tortillas–was otherworldly.

3 Likes

Nice! Pancakes at Estela are also super good if you have a chance to try.

Sqirl West or Onda Daytime:

9 Likes

Croissant Loaf French Toast from Tartine Sycamore.

Really been enjoying the space, first time I’ve ordered anything besides coffee and a pastry

11 Likes

@PorkyBelly @js76wisco et al: Just got some Intel on a potentially new bacon bar. I am willing to share even to my own detriment. Gelsons in Sherman Oaks

3 Likes

As much as I’d be tempted I ain’t driving from Brea to Sherman Oaks.

I bought 9 strips of bacon last weekend. That is generally the same amount of bacon in the Whole Foods packaged bacon which they sell for $5.99. The bacon at the bar cost $1.47. No bacon grease splatter and no lingering bacon smell.

4 Likes

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? :grin:

5 Likes

LOL! Really? Why not :wink:

My real point is, that if one Gelsons is doing it then others might be doing it as well.

Bristol Farms does not have a breakfast bacon bar. I highly encouraged them to add one in Yorba Linda.

Haha not for me but my wife does not like the lingering bacon smell so our kitchen eventually ends up smelling like Bath n Body Works.

4 Likes

Crumb Pizza at Bar Bandini

well worth the seek out

13 Likes