Food-centric (or food related) fiction novels?

Any recommendations for fiction novels that are food-centric or food related?

I just dusted off Sweetbitter, which reminds me of Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential from a female, and younger person’s, perspective.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best, I’d give this a solid 5.

Something definitely worth reading on a transcontinental flight, but not something you’d want to set aside an afternoon (or several afternoons) for.

If you liked K.C. you should read Heat , from Bill Buford . Non fiction but a good read about what kind of cook he could be if he worked in a professional kitchen . Opportunity arose when Battali gave him a chance to work in his restaurant Babbo .

The restaurant critic’s wife, written by elizabeth laban wife of philly critic craig laban.

Delicious by ruth reichl

1 Like

Hmmm…food fiction…

For my money, the Inspector Montalbano series, by Andrea Camilleri, are a grand combination of police procedural and food - lots of food.

1 Like

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.

2 Likes

Interesting. Love police procedurals and food. I wonder if I can get them on my Nook.

1 Like

I haven’t read it in years, but New Centurions by Joseph Wambaugh might fit the bill. It basically tells the story of an LAPD officer eating his way through is last few days before retirement.

1 Like

@TheCookie - They’re fun, fairly light (though occasionally gruesome) reading - I can breeze through one in an evening and feel that’s time well spent. Definitely not high literature, but delightful escapism. And the food descriptions are perfectly marvelous - the man does love to eat!

Can’t believe I forgot about Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe books - now that’s a character with discerning tastes!

1 Like

I don’t mind a little gruesome. I read the detective novels about Harry Bosch and his brother The Lincoln Lawyer. You don’t get much more gruesome than that.

P.S. A lot of popular restaurants in L.A. & the Valley are featured in these books. But I wouldn’t exactly call them novels about food.

1 Like

The Epicure’s Lament
The Debt to Pleasure
Like Water for Chocolate
Heartburn

I was thinking about Heartburn by Nora Ephron too!

Is there a lot about food in the Montalbano books? The food in the TV series is sometimes maddeningly appetizing.

Mark Pastore, the owner-operator of Incanto, recommended Nero Wolfe, but my library didn’t have any at the time.

Kind of - not a lot of details about cooking and such, but mouth-watering descriptions of fresh seafood dishes and other items the main character seeks out.

Anne Tyler’s Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Wikipedia - also features a decent amount of food “stuff.”

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh boy :kissing_closed_eyes:. As soon as the weather cools down and I lug out the Le Creuset, I’m making that for my part Sicilian husband. The Ragu looks amazing.

That made me think of this one - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. At the end of the story she provides recipes for food served at the cafe.

1 Like

That’s an interesting variation, almost seems like it might have been adjusted by a French cook.

The parts of Sicily where I had them they included Zante currants, which are not currants but tiny, aromatic, not very sweet raisins.

Nora Ephron’s “Heartburn” is dotted with recipes. I learned from that book that you could make vinaigrette with a huge amount of Dijon mustard.

2 Likes

Ahhh… I see. He wouldn’t know the difference. He just loves his Italian food. But that’s an interesting tidbit for me. Thanks!

1 Like