Former host at Republique: threat or menace?

Very nice thoughtful food, but easily the worst front of house guy in Los Angeles. How he still has a job is beyond me. Rude and totally snobbish and ridiculously unpleasant. Had it not been for the solid staff otherwise would have tipped 0.

^^ Meaning the first person who greets you at the restaurant, checks you in and says what table youā€™re going to. This tall guy with brown curly hair.

Easily the most unpleasant person Iā€™ve encountered in a restaurant - unless heā€™s someones nephew or cousin Iā€™m clueless how he still works there. Itā€™s a shame since the food is so good.

The yelpā€™s mention it too but I guess management donā€™t care lol.

Probably a host

2 Likes

That person would be called the host.

4 Likes

Well the host then was awful. Donā€™t think Iā€™ve had a host be so noticeably off putting and rude before. Guess thatā€™s the Republique way?

Omg! Thank you. I did not care for tall curly foh guy!

3 Likes

Does Republique read this board? I hope they do!

1 Like

I donā€™t think it is ā€œthe Republique Wayā€. We have always been treated with both respect and courtesy there. Have never encountered the ā€œtall guy with curly brown hairā€ however.

4 Likes

We canā€™t be alone in our opinion so they probably already know and are ok with him. His behavior didnā€™t turn me off enough to stop going. The waitstaff are great which I care about more. But! He definitely has the Iā€™m just doing this until Tom Ford discovers me ā€˜tude.

6 Likes

5* for Republique hosts from me - during her last days they let our dog eat with us in her stroller basket.

the table side dover sole was good too and reasonable QPR

13 Likes

Actually, as great as the menu sounds at Republique, that would be enough of a turnoff for me to avoid the place entirely (despite all the praises). Iā€™m not about to pay to be treated poorly.

1 Like

personally im inclined to cut 'em a break. being a host or hostess at a very busy restaurant is a thankless job people (not any of us of course) can be very needy and demanding and donā€™t always react well to being asked to wait a bit longer.

4 Likes

Also, staffing right now is exceedingly difficult. They may not have any choice but to put up with him for the time being (assuming he is as bad as you are saying)

2 Likes

That is great!

People on Yelp said it too.

Heā€™s absolutely someoneā€™s cousin or something. Thereā€™s no other reason why he still has a job.

Iā€™ve been to plenty of other ā€œbusy restaurantsā€ and never had an issue.

and I wonā€™t get into details right now, but when I went it was literally at the start of service and maybe 15% full. No excuses.

1 Like

Supposition! :grin:

It was before the pandemic and we werenā€™t testy about waiting for a table. Said host has an outsized divatude, lol.

2 Likes

Said host literally ignored me when I asked a question, and then instead moved someone right behind me ahead bc they were a ā€œregularā€.

1 Like

Did you ā€œthreatenā€ him with a Yelp review ?

2 Likes

OKā€¦now Iā€™m convinced!

7 Likes