Fried Chicken in SD

Yes there are at least 2 Richard Walker’s in San Diego. Forgettable at best…

In that case, I’m glad I never heard of it.

I have been to Richard Walkers.

I disagree, at Richard Walker’s as I’ve waited in line I’ve never seen a bouncing Cadillac with purple metal flake paint and a fur dashboard.

I like the Streetcar fried chickens (plural, they have 3 styles) but they aren’t cheap and are severely infected with Hipsteritis. That being said, the red velvet waffle and southern fried chicken thighs are one of my favorites. I haven’t tried the Nashville Hot yet though

1 Like

You should check out Tiger!Tiger!.

Just remember to bring proof of birth, and when. They card. No matter what.

Thanks for this Mr K,

Finally made it to Streetcar Merchant last night. You are right Hipsteritis runs rampant there. Vaping clouds were everywhere. Excellent people watching. They also have a newly opened place, The Milk Bar ( BEER | MILK | COOKIES ) adjoining next door that draws in even more of the underaged crowd. Besides milk related beverages they had a bunch of different bottled beers to choose from with different choices than Streetcar Merchant.

We arrived around 7:45 and were told that the kitchen was backed up with several very large tables and food would likely be 30 min. We decided to brave it, I with a Ballast Point California Kolsch (formerly Yellowtail Pael Ale) draft and the wife with a Chocolate shake from the Milk Bar. I ordered Rachel’s Revenge (Nashville Hot Boneless popcorn chicken with original waffle) and Wifey ordered Southern Fried leg quarter with Mash Potatoes and gravy and a side of collards.

The food took over an hour to get to us, they were very kind an apologetic and brought us a couple of complimentary beverages which helped with the wait. My dish was very good with the Nashville Spicy chicken pleasantly hotter than I anticipated. Waffle was slightly crisp on the outside and soft and warm inside. Great execution and I’d say a great dish if not for the syrup which was not authentic maple. The wife loved her’s as well and the Collard greens were cooked perfectly (not too mushy) with a good bite of heat.

All in all, except for the wait and the syrup, we were very happy and would return again, especially with my hipster son and girlfriend in tow. ;^)

1 Like

I was just here with my son on Sunday night for the second time and really enjoyed it. We also got a buttermilk biscuit with honey butter, cornbread waffle along with Nashville spicy chicken and korean chicken in a spicy garlic glaze

Except for the sad bread (I’ll never understand the wonderbread with the bbq and chicken joints), looks great!

1 Like

Rachel’s Revenge was my plan for next trip. I usually go during the week and the wait is 20mins or so. if the place is even slightly busy the fried chicken takes 40 mins.

I have had mixed results at the Milk Bar. The basic strawberry milk is fantastic, the Fruity Pebbles milk was just ok, and one milk I forget (froot loops or frankenberry?) was very underwhelming. They run $5 for a 12oz bottle (i think). Not sure what hipster milk prices are elsewhere for comparison.