From the Vaults: The History of the Burrito in San Francisco - SF Weekly

1 Like

That’s a great story. I probably posted links to some copy of it more than once on this site.

1 Like

In the mid80s and beyond we lived in Noe Valley, just up the hill from the Mission. One of our fave dinners was to share a Mission Burrito (outside of polite company we called them EDB - elephant dick burritos!)

2 Likes

Noe Valley was just part of “the Mission” prior to gentrification and real estate agents’ desire to differentiate it from what ignorant outsiders at the time called “the ghetto.”

I have no idea where you got that notion. First of all, the east boundary of NV is San Jose Avenue and Guerrero. But more importantly when I first started living there in the mid80s and I told people where I lived they didn’t know where that was. I told them between Twin Peaks and the Mission, two very distinct neighborhoods. It got its ‘status’ (not a new name) when the proximity to 280 made a commute to Silicon Valley so much easier than probably the majority of the nabes in the city. Then people would say “ooooh, you live in Noe Valley” with great envy in their voices. An anecdote: Over 20 years ago I got home from work and someone had left a note on my garage door offering me $700/mo to rent my frigging garage. And what a sad little garage it was.

Also I knew people who lived in far snazzier nabes than Noe Valley who never called it “the ghetto.”

From going to that part of the Mission in the 70s, prior to gentrification, when it was working-class families and hippies attracted by the low rents. And in the late 80s from my mom, who grew up in the Mission and didn’t know where I meant when I said we had moved to “Noe Valley.”

During the 1970s, The Mission found its rise due to the lively punk nightlife that started to take over the area. "

We walked down to the Mission pretty regularly for dinner. Had a favorite Peruvian place. We lived on Vicksburg between Church and Sanchez and Jersey and 25th. You???

Says who? What “rise”? Nonsense. There was no punk scene until 1978, and except for the shows Robert Hanrahan put on at the Deaf Club not much of it was in the Mission. Or much of any other nightlife, either.

Oh, shush. Despite what YOU think you really don’t know everything.

3 Likes

The fuck you say. I was living in the Mission and going to punk shows in that era. There were lots of band members living in the neighborhood since rents were cheap, and the Target Video, Damage, and Alternative Tentacles offices were there, as were the Vats and other popular rehearsal spaces, but the venues were elsewhere.

Relevant to this topic, Hanrahan found the Deaf Club because he went to La Cumbre to get a burrito.

Our fave at the time.

You probably didn’t know the place before they added the carne asada station.

Since we really never eat carne asada I wouldn’t know. You’ve probably never had birria made with goat :slight_smile:

I never heard of birria de res until the recent quesobirria taco fad. It was always chivo or cordero.

Is cabrito the same?

Young goat!

1 Like

Cabrito should be kid.