FTC Buyout #2

Good to know!

My sources say: @JLee will do it if $1000pp (excluding space/staff) + Astrea sponsorship.

9 Likes

I understand and when I saw this Comment I wasn’t sure if it’s possible.

Based on the vote, I’ll talk to each place based on voting preference (top favored, they say no then second favored, they say no then number three).

Either way I just want to see, which place seems to be favored out of three, and see if availability is the same for all three or not. I’ll go from there and report back.

5 Likes

I think buyouts make more sense at a place like Sei that doesn’t normally do omakase / tasting menus, so you’re giving an ambitious chef a chance to stretch.

4 Likes

Agree @robert

@Clayfu think Jon would do some of those Chinese banquet dishes he cooked for you a while back if we went that route?

Hell, anyone know what Travis Lett is up to? Could we get him to do a private dinner?

1 Like

Arranging a private dinner is quite different from a buyout as you have to provide the kitchen, or they need a catering setup.

1 Like

No unfortunately. Said it was too expensive and had to devote too much manpower / time for it at the expense of the rest of the restaurant.

3 Likes

Serious +1

reopening Mtn

2 Likes

My ranked choice voting slate is:

1. PRD
  2. Kato
  3. Shunji

Is that 1K per person? Am I reading that right? :joy:

That’s the ‘i don’t want to do it’ number I’m sure if he was worried someone would say yes he would make it higher. Not sure @JLe could make it any clearer that he doesn’t want to make HCR for a long while He even put out his recipes for it.

4 Likes

i think that’s the refusal price, I’m not even sure he can use the old PRD space. If he were to do it, i don’t think HCR would be on the menu, it would be more seafood based stuff. but wouldn’t know where he would have the dinner at. (speaking out of speculation of course, lol)

3 Likes

Ok. I’m removing prd from the options since it’s becoming too complicated as an options. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

This motivated me to finally sign in for an account after lurking since chowhound days. :star_struck:
+1 for kato if in april.

13 Likes

Welcome to (posting on) FTC!!!

5 Likes

Dai Pai Dong event would need a backyard and not a restaurant space, as it’s an outdoor private catering concept anyways. But I understand that, even if the venue was not an issue, there would still be a need for open-air wok setup, mise en place, sinks, tables, servers, tents, etc. etc…

Fully aware that the price would be $1Kpp… I just wasn’t sure if that was hinting to us that he absolutely wouldn’t consider doing it (AKA an “FU quote”), or that he’d actually do it for that price (in which case I’d happily pay it). I’m glad those closer to him can chime in to let us know that it’s the former, and not the latter. I’m not sure where Hainan Chicken Rice came up in this conversation, but I wasn’t expecting it.

4 Likes

Yeah, to get the outdoor space, the kitchen stuff, the ppl to help prep, the servers, etc.
I think it’s more of not an FU but it’s gonna cost a lot to do it.
Someone mentioned HRC a few posts up as something he possibly could prepare and I’m assuming he would stick to more seafood stuff.
BTW, all this is based on me speculating.

2 Likes

Agree… all speculation on both our parts. Now I’m intrigued about learning the logistics surrounding authentic dai pai dongs in HK lolol. Maybe it’s why they the DPD’s are going extinct there, too.

1 Like

I read this and thought “I dunno when I had johnny do a dinner for my 40th I told him spare no expense and it wasn’t that bad of a quote…”

5 Likes