FTC Confessions

I think, as a young ADULT, I would cook up Kraft (?) mac n cheese and then mix in some kind of jarred 'sketti sauce. It was ‘fuel.’

1 Like

When I was first living on my own at 17 I would boil a package of spaghetti and pour Ragú on half of it from the jar. The next meal I’d run hot tap water over the leftover spaghetti.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Not wrong. My Dad was Boston born and raised, and never waivered in his love of B&M beans, and the bread in the can that my sister and I thought so weird, but had to admit was so good. I still hit up the baked beans as a salt heavy indulgence a couple of times a year.

2 Likes

Only 1% fat. I need to buy some salt pork to fix that.

I reheated a slice of pizza in the microwave because it’s too damn hot to use the toaster oven and I’m wilting like a petunia.

12 Likes

I think ikura > caviar

1 Like

Katsu Sando x Needle Kakigori bang banging itself right now would be perfect.

2 Likes

Not sure this is a confession, but I’m a little more bugged than I should be when restaurant bars put your receipt in a little glass/jar/container that is too small to hold a credit card. Not a huge deal, I know, but my wife and I love to sit at the bar and share food and drink, and it’s something I’ve noticed.

2 Likes

Right before covid my friends and I reserved the private room in Providence which is basically inside the kitchen. We took a car service bc we were doing the wine tasting. During the ride from the OC to the restaurant we started drinking tequila. By the time the 4th/5th course came I literally fell asleep in my chair. I’m too embarrassed to ever show my face again at Providence. In my defense I woke up early that day to work out. I had a lot of hard alcohol and lots of wine.

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

16 Likes

THAT is some pre-gaming right there!

2 Likes

And your friends let you sleep throughout the other courses or woke you up ?

2 Likes

That’s one of the reasons I don’t drink hard liquor until after dinner. Though I rarely drink it after dinner either.

Yes I woke up after a quick snooze and had every subsequent course and even some dessert but no more wine.

8 Likes

I got really drunk prior to Quitonil in Mexico City. It was the early days of Airbnb and our hosts were this young hip Mexican couple and they lived in the same building as the flat we were renting out. They had a roof top bbq with a couple of their friends and invited us and we proceeded to have many beers and quite a few sipping “shots” of mezcal.

I went to quintonil pretty toasty and proceeded to kind of brown out during the meal because we kept on ordering wine and cocktails quite a few of the dishes were very very hazy for me. My recollection is every thing tasted delicious but I’m not sure. We definitely had an amazing time though.

2 Likes

No, but only b/c I literally cannot tolerate hard liquor. My second experience w/ hard liquor: 2 “sips” of Port (partner thought it was sips, I think I literally dipped my tongue in the glass twice).

~30 mins later, I keep commenting that I feel like I’ve been drugged.

~45 mins after ingestion, I fall asleep.

When I woke up 12 hrs later, I felt as though I had barely gotten any sleep at all. A friend asked, “Do you think you were hung over???” After that question, I thought about a similar occurrence after my first sips ever of hard liquor a few yrs prior.

No more liquor for the garliclover…

4 Likes

Wow! That’s a pretty severe reaction.

Sorry to hear that you have such a severe reaction probably better for your health that you don’t/can’t drink.

1 Like

Indeed. Thankfully, I don’t have much of a taste for alcohol (in any form), so it’s not a big deal for me to skip it.

1 Like

Strange. Hard liquor is typically 35-45% ABV, port 19-22%, wine 12-15%. So two sips of port is as much alcohol as three sips of wine. Maybe you have a reaction to some distillation byproduct other than the alcolhol.