Geezer / boomer rock: threat or menace?

Nope. Will now.

1 Like

A little later than geezer . Hey , L.A. . How many of you have seen Guns n Roseā€™s. I would have liked to have seen them . Your hometown boys . They were stars with that attitude.

The only Guns n Roses song that I can recall even liking was Knocking on Heavenā€™s Door. Nope, I wasnā€™t at any of their concerts. (But then, Iā€™m in San Diego, not LAā€¦)

Four shows, 3rd row center + backstage passes. I worked for their biz manager. It was awesome!

4 Likes

Very cool, TC.

2 Likes

Since we are talking music . Tell me what shows you have seen at the whisky a Go Go . Motley Crue , James Taylor , many others .

I saw a lot of those hippie bandsā€”the Who, Grateful Dead, Stones, Jefferson Airplaneā€”but none of them were as memorable as Devo, Bowie, or Iggy Pop (with Bowie).

1 Like

A lot of bands but the three that stick out are because I was in high school and it felt like a really big deal - X and The B-52ā€™s and The Go-Goā€™s.

1 Like

I saw x at the Catalyst club early days Santa Cruz

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen the Stones and the Who (late 70-early 80s)---- all of the times that Iā€™ve seen PJ Harvey were more memorable and a better concertā€¦ the National or REM were better than the Stones

Sons.of Champlin were more memorable than any of the famous hippie-era bands I can recall.

Never saw the Velvet Underground.

1 Like

Beethoven: The FĆ¼r Elise Tour, 1867 (dude passed away forty years before that, but whatevs)ā€¦ Some lucky aristocrat got the set list from the roadie/piano tuner.

2 Likes

Petty is good, but Neil Young is better than he was. Springsteen is better than both.

One of my regrets is never having seen VU or Lou Reed. Alas.
But I have enjoyed Laurie Anderson.

Saw X and the GoGos at the Starwood. Great show. Crazy Eddie Nash venue.

1 Like

Laurie Anderson

Iā€™ve LOVED Laurie Anderson since I discovered the 4 disc set of United States at a used record shop my freshman year of college. Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to see her perform her ā€˜Concert for Dogsā€™ at the Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax (when it was still The Cinefamily), along with a showing and Q&A of her film ā€˜The Heart of a Dogā€™. The week before, she also came to do Q&A for a 35mm print showing of her concert film ā€˜Home of the Braveā€™. I got to speak with her briefly (she was lovely and kind) and itā€™s still the only celebrity selfie I have ever taken.

1 Like

I liked PJ Harveyā€™s early material. Then I saw her at the El Rey on the Let England Shake tour. Soooo pretentious.

My husband & son have seen The National twice (Boston & LA). Iā€™m sure son would say theyā€™re better than The Stones, lol, but Iā€™d have to ask husband if he agrees with that one.

1 Like

I think so too, as I also think that Joan Baezā€™s ā€œWinds of the Old Daysā€ had a lot of undertones about her feelings towards Bob Dylan in her early years, before Diamonds and Rust.

1 Like

saw Laurie Anderson at UCLA performing O Superman. Truly a great show. I caught her a couple other times later as well.

1 Like