Good eats in Palmdale or Canyon Country. Do they exist?

And what’s in that? B/c mayo normally doesn’t look that runny, right???

Honestly I couldn’t put my finger on it last night but the description of buttermilk with a little cayenne is perfect.

2 Likes

A poke place in Stevenson Ranch. My guy tried to hype up his bulgogi tacos - better than Kogi. Spoiler alert - they were not.

1 Like

As you’ve posted to this thread, you have found some decent places :+1: Shame that streak was broken by “spicy mayo.”

I’m almost afraid to ask, but do you follow the SCV Eats group?

Oy, so @aaqjr for the win. :frowning:

3 Likes

I do not - but I see them referenced a lot in the eater SCV lists so I imagine there’s overlap.

Have you tried Sen Noodle House on Soledad in Canyon Country? The Sen Street Curry soup is quite good.

Recently, there was this…

1 Like

I’ll take the opportunity here to plug Pho Viet on Soledad for being an incredibly legit vietnamese restaurant, and is now my favorite in the SFV/SCV/Palmdale area, beating out my old standard of Pho 999.

I classify #83 and #105 as “above average” even when compared to the 626/714.

4 Likes

paging @chandavkl to let him know about the existence of “One Bite Dumpling” in Santa Clarita, which is clearly the best (maybe only) dumpling house north of the 5/14 interchange.

full mandarin speaking BOH, sichuan peppercorns used in the dishes, and a dedicated person hand making various dumplings all day.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/one-bite-dumpling-santa-clarita

10 Likes

A few weeks too late for us. Ate lunch at Zankou Chicken near Magic Mountain on the way to Fresno but would have tried this place instead. Bookmarked for next year.

Wok With Ray across the street also has great filipino food - better than most I’ve had in LA proper; similar to Oi Asian Fusion. https://www.yelp.com/biz/wok-with-ray-newhall-2

Newhall Refinery wins in the gastropub-ish category for me, with food being above average and a damn tasty mai tai on deck. https://www.yelp.com/biz/newhall-refinery-santa-clarita-2

2 Likes

@Ns1 you been to the Loaf?

Only once. Was not memorable enough for me to go out of my way to return.

But they are the only competitor to 85’ around here so I’m sure I’ll be back at some point.

They got 4.5* on Yelp so what do I know :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Amazing!

For a variety of reasons, I’ve been lax in reporting it, but the past 14 months have seen some notable and interesting developments as far as Antelope Valley dining options. Hopefully, a series will take care of that. We’ll see how long this lasts. First up, a welcome return to serving food by Indian Palate in Lancaster. Formerly a branch of India Sweets & Spices, they stopped serving food when the pandemic hit, operating solely as a market. After a limited return, they’ve gradually expanded to daily combos six days a week, and have added dosas, paratha, chaat and lassis.

6 Likes

While the pandemic stopped food serving at Indian Palate, it led to home cooked Peruvian for pickup and (nearby) delivery out of a home in a newer tract on the easternmost edge of Palmdale. Tayta Peruvian Food features items prepared by an older couple with restaurant experience in Peru, helped by their son & daughter. Lomo Saltado; Pollo a la Brasa, etc. Below, a Peruvian tamale

There’s a similar home cooked Peruvian set-up on the Westside of Palmdale, Imperio Peruvian Cuisine.

6 Likes

Taco vendor at 14N/Crown Valley. This would be above average in 818. But so far this is several levels above anything else I have found in the 661. Al pastor / suadero on hand made tortillas were the highlight. Sorry no pics but this guy made a vid. It is definitely better than Leo’s and Angels although their carne asada is only par.

4 Likes

I swear there is some type of centralized taco vendor starter kit in LA/OC. There are 3/4 taco stands in the North OC and they all look identical to the one in the video. Trompa for Al pastor, home made tortillas, good salsa bar, all the other meats are mostly pre cooked and held in those steel pans. A bunch of juices.

The one in the OC that we frequent is very good too.

4 Likes

There have been all sorts of street corner taco vendors popping up in the last several months in Palmdale. A couple clearly Al Pastor. I haven’t checked them out, but did a taco crawl in Palmdale several years ago and found several decent ones. The best tacos I’ve had in the area was a street corner set up in front of a plaza with a smog check. Really good, with a great variety (tongue, tripe, etc.), but they weren’t there very long.

I wish Bill Esparza or the LA Taco crew would check out the AV.

2 Likes