Good eats in Palmdale or Canyon Country. Do they exist?

I too enjoy Newhall Refinery but several years ago there was a group of 5 of us that met there for lunch where something we ate got the best of us. We believe it was a mushroom flatbread if I recall correctly and the only reason we were able to narrow it down was because it was the only thing all 5 of us tried. It wouldn’t stop me from going back because these things happen, we just haven’t made a point of it and since The Old Town Junction is across the street now and we quite like that place a bit more.

1 Like

Another 2022 opening in Palmdale, Belizean Jamaican Cuisine. Aside from when TriniStyle was delivering out of Lancaster, it’s been years since there was a Caribbean place in the Antelope Valley (a fairly short-lived place in Lancaster). The fairly small menu skews to more familiar Jamaican, so think jerked chicken, patties, etc , but the name and decor prove the Belizean background of the really nice folks operating the restaurant. Hopefully, this photo isn’t too bright (as opposed to my normal too dark):: Belizean Garnaches on left; Curry chicken, beans & rice, cabbage and plantains on right.

1 Like

30th/Ave R. similar turnkey vendor setup as noted above. If this is the new baseline standard I’m all for it.

Do you have any thoughts on La Palma?

1 Like

Ah, 30th E. & Ave. R. Tacos el Llano. That’s the one I was especially thinking of.

Prior to the street vendors popping up, the go-to for Al Pastor was Taqueria La Famosa.

No, I do not, though I know they have a pretty diverse menu. Despite living quite near it. I recall when that space was Steak & Stein. I’m great at recalling what all used to be where :slightly_smiling_face:

There is definitely some regional Mexican in Palmdale, which shouldn’t be surprising. And quite a bit of Salvadorean.

1 Like

WWR is gone and replaced by the questionably named BBQ Chicken

They do KFC and things like kimchee fried rice. Very legit, better than Boom Boom & Chicken Day.

2 Likes

Perhaps the most pleasant surprise was the opening of Ponia’s Palace in Palmdale. Taking over the space last used by the closest thing to a legit* Chinese restaurant in the AV, Ponia’s Palace features Ghanian and Nigerian dishes. The family originally had an African market/boutique in Lancaster, but 2022 saw them open the restaurant and a market/boutique in Palmdale. This is a true gem, with a surprisingly deep Ghanian and Nigerian menu. Pictured: Waakye (beans and rice with shito, a spicy pepper sauce); chicken (with same sauce, shito), plantains and salad with a nice Dijonaise dressing.

*legit in that they served chicken feet and had XLB, albeit probably frozen and imported, but, still…

8 Likes

I’ve sort of caught up, but, wait, there’s more…

Borinquen (please excuse lack of accent marks) in Lancaster. A very rare Puerto Rican restaurant.

Las Monarca’s in Palmdale serves a few Michoacan-style items (Morisqueta; Aporriadillo), along with goat birria and lamb barbacoa among other more standard Mexican dishes.

Ay Papa! Que Ricos! also opened a Palmdale location. They do grilled meats very well.

Realizing the population of the Antelope Valley has increased by about 100,000 from when I first moved to the area, it’s nice that a broader range of interesting dining options has at least somewhat offset the massive increase in traffic. There will only be more and more of both.

3 Likes

Second the love for Ponia’s Palace, which might be the most ambitious West African restaurant in the country. Been a couple times now because it is just so good. Here are the owners during the World Cup, they opened early for Ghana’s last match and were a joy to cheer with despite the bad result.

7 Likes

In terms of food, setting, or both (or other)?

The menu’s comprehensiveness is jaw-dropping. Often in a West African restaurant the menu is not even worth looking at, and you instead ask what is available on the certain day which is usually a few things. Here they have so many choices and it all seems to be available to order.

2 Likes