Good eats in Palmdale or Canyon Country. Do they exist?

I too enjoy Newhall Refinery but several years ago there was a group of 5 of us that met there for lunch where something we ate got the best of us. We believe it was a mushroom flatbread if I recall correctly and the only reason we were able to narrow it down was because it was the only thing all 5 of us tried. It wouldn’t stop me from going back because these things happen, we just haven’t made a point of it and since The Old Town Junction is across the street now and we quite like that place a bit more.

1 Like

Another 2022 opening in Palmdale, Belizean Jamaican Cuisine. Aside from when TriniStyle was delivering out of Lancaster, it’s been years since there was a Caribbean place in the Antelope Valley (a fairly short-lived place in Lancaster). The fairly small menu skews to more familiar Jamaican, so think jerked chicken, patties, etc , but the name and decor prove the Belizean background of the really nice folks operating the restaurant. Hopefully, this photo isn’t too bright (as opposed to my normal too dark):: Belizean Garnaches on left; Curry chicken, beans & rice, cabbage and plantains on right.

1 Like

30th/Ave R. similar turnkey vendor setup as noted above. If this is the new baseline standard I’m all for it.

Do you have any thoughts on La Palma?

1 Like

Ah, 30th E. & Ave. R. Tacos el Llano. That’s the one I was especially thinking of.

Prior to the street vendors popping up, the go-to for Al Pastor was Taqueria La Famosa.

No, I do not, though I know they have a pretty diverse menu. Despite living quite near it. I recall when that space was Steak & Stein. I’m great at recalling what all used to be where :slightly_smiling_face:

There is definitely some regional Mexican in Palmdale, which shouldn’t be surprising. And quite a bit of Salvadorean.

1 Like

WWR is gone and replaced by the questionably named BBQ Chicken

They do KFC and things like kimchee fried rice. Very legit, better than Boom Boom & Chicken Day.

2 Likes

Perhaps the most pleasant surprise was the opening of Ponia’s Palace in Palmdale. Taking over the space last used by the closest thing to a legit* Chinese restaurant in the AV, Ponia’s Palace features Ghanian and Nigerian dishes. The family originally had an African market/boutique in Lancaster, but 2022 saw them open the restaurant and a market/boutique in Palmdale. This is a true gem, with a surprisingly deep Ghanian and Nigerian menu. Pictured: Waakye (beans and rice with shito, a spicy pepper sauce); chicken (with same sauce, shito), plantains and salad with a nice Dijonaise dressing.

*legit in that they served chicken feet and had XLB, albeit probably frozen and imported, but, still…

8 Likes

I’ve sort of caught up, but, wait, there’s more…

Borinquen (please excuse lack of accent marks) in Lancaster. A very rare Puerto Rican restaurant.

Las Monarca’s in Palmdale serves a few Michoacan-style items (Morisqueta; Aporriadillo), along with goat birria and lamb barbacoa among other more standard Mexican dishes.

Ay Papa! Que Ricos! also opened a Palmdale location. They do grilled meats very well.

Realizing the population of the Antelope Valley has increased by about 100,000 from when I first moved to the area, it’s nice that a broader range of interesting dining options has at least somewhat offset the massive increase in traffic. There will only be more and more of both.

3 Likes

Second the love for Ponia’s Palace, which might be the most ambitious West African restaurant in the country. Been a couple times now because it is just so good. Here are the owners during the World Cup, they opened early for Ghana’s last match and were a joy to cheer with despite the bad result.

7 Likes

In terms of food, setting, or both (or other)?

The menu’s comprehensiveness is jaw-dropping. Often in a West African restaurant the menu is not even worth looking at, and you instead ask what is available on the certain day which is usually a few things. Here they have so many choices and it all seems to be available to order.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Newhall & adjacent is going to be the next Korean enclave.

Jin Cook is an absurdly legitimate restaurant l/ small chain that seems to specialize in hot stone, eg bibimbap / galbijim / etc. it has the taste of ktown with a few changes for the neighborhood including a smaller but still incredibly legit ban chan / kimchi spread of 3 items, English speaking staff, and SCV clean interior.

Highly recommend for anyone north of 5/14.

6 Likes

Ok! I need a scout. I’m in Sherman Oaks. Palmdale way too far for me.

Da Bomb Fish Tacos

Recommended by Mexi Papa as the best fish tacos. Ensenada style.

https://s.yelp.com/QNe8UZ3PDI

3 Likes

Thx for the lead. Will eventually report back.

2 Likes

I’m dying watching this video. These things are huge.

1 Like

oh man this place was awesome for charcoal grilled chicken. Significantly better than Charcoal Chicken in Canyon Country and probably better than my previous benchmark El Pollo Unico in Pasadena.

3 Likes

They’re tasty, but they’re tiny birds… they’re the size of canaries.

rather eat a small tasty bird than a big dry bird. arguably better skin to meat ratio too.

2 Likes

Re: Da Bomb Fish Taco.

Antelope Center is a ways from Palmdale. Checking their Facebook page shows them all around the perimeter of Palmdale, including over on the eastside in front of the Vallarta market.

Some AV taco intel. Finally got around to sampling almost all of what Tacos El Llano and El Taquero Poblano have. Everyone’s mileage may vary, but to me, Tacos El Llano wins for Al Pastor and Pollo; El Taquero Poblano has outstanding chorizo tacos (with a great char to them). Carne Asada is kind of a toss up. The LA Taco article has a few uncharacteristic errors. No suadero at Tacos El Llano and it calls it “El Taqueria Poblano Inc.”

Taquero El Poblano. Left two: Al Pastor; Right: Chorizo.

Tacos El Llano. Al Pastor y Pollo.
Tacos El Llano also has buche, cabeza, lengua and tripa as well. Poblano also has birria and cabeza.

4 Likes