Hatch Chiles - Where To Buy LA Area

Was at Gelson’s last week - they definitely had them!

2 Likes

the worst!

now you got me chasing hatch chiles too… planning to fire up the que tomorrow anyway

2 Likes

I spend my life cleaning it. Put on any pot or pan and within minutes the glass gets stained and needs cleaning.

WTH?!!!

Just a teensy bit off topic… Worse than stainless or enameled stuff? We’re due for a new range in 1-2 yrs and, b/c I clean but don’t do much cooking, my totally consumed about getting a range that’s easy to clean…

Back to the subject… Gelson’s makes a corn hatch chili salad that I think is great (deli counter).

2 Likes

I would consider enamel “Non-stick, zero maintenance” compared to this!!

I would be happy if I could just sponge the surface or spray and wipe. Nope.

Seriously, just turning the burners “on” will discolor them. Everything stains it and requires scouring. So if I use any burner, it would require cleaning afterwards. And it needs a special non-scratch cleaner (kind of like soft scrub) with either a soft cloth or paper towel to scour it. There’s no spray cleaner for it. Cannot use 409 or Method.

Here. Perfectly clean before I cooked some eggs.

This is what’s left behind…

YUM!! Thanks for the tip!!

Holy cow!!! That’s terrible. :frowning:

Unrelated… I’ve had the hatch chili salad at at least two Gelson’s (and possibly 3). There are some slight differences in flavor btw theem. My fav is at the Encino branch, which has the strongest flavor. Century City and/or Santa Monica was a bit bland.

1 Like

We Jews like strong flavors. Encino = Little Haifa.

2 Likes

What’s good in Little Haifa these days?

LOL!

Last time I ate there was quite awhile ago and that was Tel Aviv Grill. Always good.

My guess is many on this board will say Shin Sushi. Someone I know mentioned Scratch Bar. I wonder if anyone here has intel?

Ah yes, I think I went there once ages ago. Another other Jewish gems?

I like Amir’s Falafel (which is almost right across the street from Tel Aviv Grill, IIRC). But only when “Sergio” is cooking. And it’s been MANY years since I last went.

1 Like

I think they closed or sold the business years ago. I went one time to the newer place and wasn’t my cup of tea. I think maybe that owner then sold too.

Isn’t the other Amir’s falafel, in studio city, related?

I don’t think it’s related b/c I misspelled Amir… The Encino one is actually “Amer’s.” I’ve never tried Studio City’s…

I’m sad to hear that it closed down. :frowning:

Hi I normally post in San Francisco forums but I am in the LA region for the next few months. Has anyone seen reasonably priced Hatch Chiles in the grocery stores this year? (less than $2 a pound, hopefully closer to $1… I am in the Anaheim area but anywhere is fine. I will roast my own.

Northgate and certain Sprouts markets always have them this time of year. Not sure on pricing since I don’t buy them much.

1 Like

Bristol Farms has some great-looking ones right now, but I forgot to check the price per pound.

1 Like

Ralph’s has had them for $1

2 Likes

@sfchris

Lazy acres is $2/lb this year. They are usually the most expensive out of all the places that sell them. Definitely check Northgate, their produce quality and prices are very good. There are multiple locations in Anaheim.

3 Likes

+1 on Ralphs. $1/lb. they have some roasting events at select locations.

Vons had them too. Not sure on price but you can be sure they will be 50% more expensive than Ralphs.

1 Like

Anaheim peppers, which you should find at any Mexican grocer, are a cultivar of New Mexico #9.

1 Like