Here Comes A New Challenger! The Mouth-Watering, Delectable, Stunning Sourdough Neapolitan Pizzas of La Morra Pizzeria [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

23 Likes

Wow I need this in my life

Also whoever is booking food for Tabula Rosa seems to be killin it

3 Likes

Did you do these 5 visits, in successive weeks?

So you go to a place, then do you take notes or write a review? And then just don’t post it until you’ve been there three or four times? It’s very impressive.

This looks really amazing!!! I’m drooling so badly right now lol.

Thanks so much for the fantastic report (as always).

5 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Thanks. :slight_smile: We try to give most places multiple visits. In the past, I’d try to revisit any place at least 3 times, but given budget constraints, time, and sometimes utter failure / disappointment, recently we might not be able to go to a place that many times (or just don’t want to ever return). But generally yah. :slight_smile:

For La Morra Pizzeria, after the 1st visit it was already stunning. I could see why @ipsedixit recommended this place. But consistency is important, so we went back again, and again, and each time there was just something more amazing. I would’ve written something up sooner but the holidays / busy-ness hit.

I think you’d like it @Gr8pimpin, hopefully you get a chance soon. :blush:

1 Like

As always thank you for the epic reviews but based on your emojis I think I have to order one of everything

3 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

:smile: Thanks. That actually reminds me:

La Morra Pizzeria rotates through the various flavors each week (probably due to limited space, and lack of a permanent kitchen), so they usually offer 4 - 5 different Pizzas at a time, so that was another reason we ended up visiting a few times (that and it was delicious). :slight_smile:

I think the Margherita and Napoli are the 2 flavors that are always on the menu.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reviews, as always @Chowseeker1999. I’ve been trying to get to La Morra to no avail because of the location and schedule, but it looks like I need to try harder.

PSA: From their IG, it looks like they’ll be at Tabula Rasa this Saturday (1/4) from 2pm - 7pm.

1 Like

So glad you got to try la morra it is our favorite neo neopolitan in the city! Thanks for your copious reviews and research.

The Bianco looks amazing will have to try that one the next time if its offered

1 Like

Been dying to try this. I’m a huge fan of the bar and go a few times a year, but always on weekends. It’s such a great spot.

1 Like

Great stuff but not exactly new. Only the oven is Neapolitan-style, the pizza’s one of the best of the modern California hybrids, up there with Delfina and Mozza. Excellent value, too, though my bar tab always more than makes up for that (not that I’m complaining, I love Tabula Rasa).

2 Likes

What’s the price per pie?

$15-20 and the pies are big enough for two people.

2 regular people or 2 FTC people?

5 Likes

If you usually order two individual-size Neapolitan pies, you might want one of these for yourself.

I would say one pie per person min, I could eat two easily

1 Like

Hi @NYCtoLA,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Yah their limited hours makes it challenging, but hopefully they get a brick and mortar location soon (or add a 2nd day a week to a long-term pop-up)… Thanks for the heads up on this Saturday (today)! Looks like they are switching things up (and Saturday is much more convenient).

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

Thanks! After @ipsedixit, I saw your posts as well and that helped. We fell in love with La Morra after our first visit, so good! :slight_smile:

Do you like their Clam Pie as well? What’s your favorite of the ones you’ve tried so far? (And yes the Bianco is amazing.)

1 Like

Hi @js76wisco,

As robert said, these are bigger than many standard pies (e.g., it’s bigger than Pizzeria Mozza’s pies). If you’re at Tabula Rasa, a nice craft beer on tap and 1 pizza is pretty solid. But I could see some of our FTC’ers polishing off 2 pies. :wink:

I think once they get a long term place and introducing some nice sides / starters would help balance out a meal with just 1 pie.

1 Like

Darn, finally doing it on a Saturday, but it’s a bar, so I likely can’t bring my offspring… Maybe I’ll stack the kids on top of each other and go with the long trench coat disguise.

7 Likes

I’ve never had the clam. But that looks amazing. I’ve only had one clam pie in my life not being an east coaster so I definitely hope to catch them offering that.

Our favorites in no particular order are margherita, the njuda with onions, foraged mushroom, and their sun gold tomato pizza bursting with tomato-ey goodness.

1 Like