Here Comes A New Challenger! The Mouth-Watering, Delectable, Stunning Sourdough Neapolitan Pizzas of La Morra Pizzeria [Thoughts + Pics]

Ok I’m gonna be a naysayer here and say their pizza is decent but not nearly THAT good…definitely not travel worthy.

I went back at the pop up a few weeks ago and got the 5 cheese. I went this past thursday night at Kettle Black and got the Salsiccia and Bianco. They were tasty, but I will not be driving out there to get this again. Price point is a little high and for some reason the aura of the people there feels stuffy…and PIZZANA is so so so much better and the same price roughly.

1 Like

It is expensive. It was $50 OTD (out the door) for the Calabrese and Sausage pizza. No drinks.
I think they were $19 each. So $19/6 slices = $3+ per smallish slice.

1 Like

Went Friday night.

Menu for the night (screenshot from their Instagram story)

Margherita pizza was really good. Better than Cosa Buona’s (and CB’s is pretty good).

Bianco e verde was excellent. The ricotta tasted whipped, it was like biting into a cloud. I normally do not like white pizzas but this definitely changed my mind.

We also got cocktails- husband got the blood orange tonic which he said was very refreshing, and I got the cynar spritzer with passionfruit juice & sparkling wine.

2 pizzas and 2 cocktails plus tax and tip was $85 (!!!). A little pricey so I wouldn’t eat this all the time, but if they were here permanently, would go every once in a while.

Restaurant looked pretty full around 8 pm but we were seated almost immediately after ordering and pizza took about 15 minutes to come out. Distance is not an issue for me since they’re less than a 10 minute drive from where I live (or a really leisurely 30 minute walk). Parking in the area always sucks though, so I usually walk/Lyft or sometimes take the bus.

5 Likes

Also, one more thing about this pizza. For my tastes, it needs to be eaten fresh, right out of the oven. As the pizza cooled the dough cooled and became more of a mochi-mochi texture than a fresh-baked bread, fluffy on the inside, crusty on the outside texture.

Hi @skramzlife,

Thanks. I think this is one of the few restaurants we’ve disagreed on, as we usually like the same places. :slight_smile: But totally respect your opinion.

Interestingly, Pizzana despite being so much closer, is a place we’ve found to be OK. Some interesting ingredients and flavors on top of some of the pies (some just are not that good), but their dough / crust is bland / tasteless (for our tastes).

La Morra’s Sourdough adds a subtle flavor note that enhances the pies we’ve tried here. Thanks.

Hi @hanhgry,

Thanks for the report back. :slight_smile: Glad you enjoyed it, but definitely agree with you on the price. We’ve treated it like a “once in a while pop-up” (which it is still sort of), so it’s been OK for us, but yah the price is a touch higher than other places around town (like DeSano). Although, Pizzeria Mozza (another favorite of ours) has their pies at the same price or more for a few flavors.

1 Like

I would have to agree with you pizzana has never moved the noodle for me (been twice)

But maybe I’ll give it another try since a lot of ppl have been singing their praises.

@skramzlife what are your favorite pies at pizzana?

La Morra’s style seems close to Mozza’s to me. (And all my previous negative remarks about Mozza’s are out of date.)

The type of dough used is very different. Mozza has a more crackery chewy crust that is reminiscent of sourdough. While la morra has a softer airier crust but also good chew. Additionally la morra leopards their pizzas a lot more.

1 Like

Went a few weekends ago and sort of agree. Moreso I went in expecting a Neapolitan like Pizzeria Mozza and thought it was a little too chewy for my taste and not really worth the drive. Maybe I’ll go back a second time to try the clam and potato pies.

1 Like

New Saturday & Sunday afternoon location for La Morra.

4 Likes

Great news! Posting direct location for those that ran out of L.A. Times views for the month:

4 Likes

How did you know I already ran out of free views on Day 2 of the month??? :wink:

3 Likes

It’s also annoying they stopped letting you view articles using incognito browsers.

2 Likes

I find that clearing out my browser cache and cookies solves the problem until I hit the limit again. Also works w/ NY Times and WAPO

4 Likes

Update 2:

La Morra Pizzeria finished up its month-long residency at the former Kettle Black space in Silver Lake, and while it’s unfortunate they didn’t lock in a permanent space yet, they have now reappeared for a new Weekends Pop-Up (Saturdays and Sundays) at Texino (a camping equipment retail space), inbetween Silver Lake, Los Feliz and Atwater Village.

The good news is, La Morra Pizzeria is back to using its custom-built, wood fired Pizza oven that Chef-Owner Zach Swemle built (instead of using the oven at Kettle Black last month).

They offered 5 different Pizzas this weekend, and will be rotating in new Pizzas every weekend after.

Cavolo Rosso Pizza (Tomato, Kale, Garlic, Shallot, Oregano, Chili, Basil, Olive Oil) (Vegan):

Don’t let the fact that this Pie is Vegan dissuade you. Taking a bite, and you get this incredible burst of flavors: First, the shattering Kale (yes, some of it is burnt, but it’s still quite vegetal, and the burnt parts somehow add a smoky bitterness (slight)), then you get this excellent balanced Tomato Sauce, the Garlic, Shallots, Basil and Oregano, some slight heat from the Chili, and quality Olive Oil.

And then you tear into the outstanding Sourdough Neo-Neapolitan crust, with a great light chew, good flavor, and it is magic! :heart: (@hanhgry @TheCookie @Luluthemagnificent @chinchi and others.)

Patate Pizza (Shaved Yukon Gold Potatoes, Raclette, Rosemary, Parmesan, Black Pepper):

I think the Patate Pizza is even better today than the last 2 times I’ve had it: The Yukon Gold Potatoes are crisped on the edges, fragrant Rosemary, the Raclette is funky enough, but creamy enough and Chef Swemle’s Sourdough crust just rounds it out. :slight_smile:

(Secret Menu) Pepperoni Pizza:

The off menu dish is a tribute to the classic Pepperoni Pizzas Chef Swemle and Co-Owner Blodgett enjoy. La Morra Pizzeria uses Pepperoni from Molanari’s in San Francisco in this current version. The Pepperoni is nicely crisped up for this visit, and it is excellent!

Crisped up Pepperoni adds a nice porkiness to each bite, the Tomato Sauce is balanced, not too tart, not too sweet, the Fresh Mozzarella and then the Sourdough Neo-Neapolitan crust is standout! :heart: (@Gr8pimpin @lapizzamaven @PorkyBelly @Ns1 @JeetKuneBao and others.)

Salsiccia Pizza (Tomato, Mozzarella, Fennel Sausage, Pickled Guindilla Pepper, Grana):

This was a nice balance of savory Fennel Sausage, piquant Pickled Guindilla Peppers, multiple Cheeses, Tomato Sauce and the great Sourdough crust again.

La Morra Pizzeria continues to deliver some excellent Sourdough Neo-Neapolitan Pizzas with standout flavors and a great flavorful crust. The Cavolo Rosso and Pepperoni were probably my 2 favorite flavors on this visit. I can’t wait to see what flavors La Morra Pizzeria rotate in for the coming weeks.

(Note: Check their Instagram for latest pop-up location details.)

Currently at Texino, every Saturday & Sunday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

La Morra Pizzeria
(at Texino)
3021 Rowena Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90039

13 Likes

Damn, that potato pizza gets me every time!!!

Thanks so much for the report!!

2 Likes

Are they looking for one? That has put a lot of successful pop-ups out of business.

That kale pizza looks delicious! Thanks for the report and photos as always!

2 Likes

LaMorra now delivering to the OC. Only downside is minimum $75 order which is 5 pies and $50 delivery fee. If the delivery fee was a little lower I would have pulled the trigger.