Here Comes A New Challenger! The Mouth-Watering, Delectable, Stunning Sourdough Neapolitan Pizzas of La Morra Pizzeria [Thoughts + Pics]

Like when you are in heat for carbs and need to break your keto diet?

6 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

It is Chef Swemle’s take on Neapolitan. The overall pie and crust are not crunchy like Pizzeria Mozza, definitely leaning more towards NY mixed with Neapolitan, but without the giant soupy flaccid center you (and I) like to avoid. :wink:

I think you’d like many of the flavors offered. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @robert,

To be fair, La Morra’s website lists them as Neapolitan, and from Chef Swemle’s mouth he told us he’s making his version of Neapolitan, so I’m respecting their words and using their descriptor.

But I agree that it’s not a traditional Neapolitan at all, and I made mention of that a few times, with their Sourdough twist on it, and the texture, and not following the official VPN rules you’ve posted about, it’s like a Neo-Neapolitan, through their interpretation.

Hi @Starchtrade,

Glad you enjoyed your visit! Good news is that La Morra Pizzeria staff mentioned to us they would be rotating / adding various Pizza flavors each week throughout this residency, so fingers crossed they bring in the Clam and Calabrese. :slight_smile:

I wonder what flavors they’ll have this week?

1 Like

I love the soupy center, it’s why Neapolitan pizza is my favorite. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Totally cool. :slight_smile: I’ll enjoy a good Neapolitan sometimes. What do you think of Settebello? Just want to get a baseline of what you’ve enjoyed so far in LA.

If you like soupy go for l’antica pizzeria de michele in Hollywood.

2 Likes

Thanks for the list @robert. Wow, there are so few officially licensed VPN members in So Cal.

@Bookwich I guess based on that list the only VPN Neapolitan Pizza that we’ve tried locally would be Settebello. It’s solid, but it felt skimpy for the toppings.

We liked some things at L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele (Hollywood), but they aren’t officially VPN Neapolitan.

I’ll update if we get to try a few more of the official VPN places locally. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve had pies that could pass for VPN-certified at places that weren’t.

Traditionally, toppings are skimpy.

RIP Mother Dough. Was my absolute favorite Neapolitan pizza in LA.

2 Likes

Same here! Da Michele certainly fits the bill for that as others have mentioned.

Another good Neapolitan place is Provami on Melrose - they were formerly Prova in WeHo. Their menu’s kinda random, and non-pizza stuff is hit or miss, but their Neapolitan pizza is solid.

http://pizzaprovami.com/

1 Like

If anybody is down in the OC many OC posters can certainly vouch for the Neopalitan at Fuoco in Fullerton. Great representation of the style. Soupy in the middle, great chew and flavor in the dough and well proportioned pies. I went to Angelina once and had very good pies but would recommend Fuoco. Angelina has a much more diverse menu with mains, pasta and drink menu if that matters.

2 Likes

Damn, that looks good!

1 Like

Came with a bigger appetite tonight.
Calabrese was on the menu!

Salsicchia (sp?) fennel sausage (they forget the grated Parm at the end:():

I think I overheard that the clam pie might be on next weekend. Oh, and they had focaccia tonight off menu.

Really loving having this pizza in the neighborhood! Hope they find a permanent spot nearby!

9 Likes

Is the crust traditionally burnt as a fad . Sorry just asking .

2 Likes

I like charred crust as much as the next guy, but that sausage pizza is burnt. Was it not bitter?

2 Likes

Yah that bottom piece / edge looks a bit charred. I wonder if it was them handling a large crowd tonight / more customers? At their original Wednesday Only residency there were far fewer customers / smaller venue. Hopefully just growing pains with that new wood-burning oven and busy-ness.

The Calabrese pie and the other half of that Sausage pie look fine, though, just the bottom 2 pieces.

1 Like

Yes, the sausage pie was burnt. In retrospect, I should have politely asked them to refire it. Crowd was smaller than last weekend and pies came out much faster.

There was a different member of the team on the pizza oven last night, not Zach like last week. Zach was spreading the dough on the boards. A couple other pizzas had to be refired while we were there (caught by topping/cutter guy before they went out). Perhaps they were trying to get that member a little more experience/practice?

Even burnt, it was still delicious and I scarfed it down.

2 Likes

That burnt pizza reminds me -has anyone been to lodge for pizza recently?

1 Like