Hey guys and girls do we have any Portuguese food in this wonderful city?

Missing a couple things, mainly octopus rice and cockles. Anywhere for a quick fix?

Natas.

Lots of options listed here.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this question. I have been meaning to try this cuisine since Bourdain did No Reservations Boston and from watching Emeril Live back in the day

1 Like

oh em gee, I had no idea Natas served anything other than pastries. Thought it was just a little sweet shop! Will have to check it out. Thanks ipse!

Portugal Imports (Artesia) http://www.portugalimports.net/

3 Likes

Second Natas. It’s a gem, though tiny.

I am going there tomorrow.:slight_smile:

Their pastry case is full of choices. Stick with the traditional Portuguese choices.

only been to Natas. Can be hit or miss. Got really dry bacalao last time, should have sent it back.

Went there yesterday. Tried Queijada de Nata, Queijada de Belem, Queijada de Amendoa and Massa Folhada. Like Nata the most. Thank you @J_L for recommending this place.

2 Likes

Artesia once had a large Portuguese community (there was a restaurant called THE NAVIGATOR after Prince Henry).
I think quite a few moved when the dairies moved to the Chino area. There’s a portuguese hall in Chino.
I think Euro cafe in Claremont has some portuguese dishes but you’d have to check and I can’t suggest them as I’ve not been.
Have been to Nata’s. SOme portuguese dishes - tasty, but limited menu.

1 Like

It turns out Chino and Artesia have DES halls - and they have festas - so maybe they have food. JUST A lead - good luck.
http://www.artesiades.org/site/festas-e-eventosfestivals-and-events/

1 Like

I like a good California history lesson. Especially when it comes with a food rec.

Port of Peri Peri (Fullerton)

First of great concept!!!

Second Peri Peri Chicken is one of the great chicken dishes but this was pretty bad.

Look at these Google Search pics vs the above…

They claim it’s fresh and marinated for 24 hours but the above pic looks like frozen or pre-grilled than the glaze/marinade/peri peri was brushed on at the end instead of repeatedly glazed and grilled on. There is no aroma walking in.

Peri Peri Chicken deserves something better needs something more rustic like Pollo Ala Brasa is to Peruvian Roast Chicken.

Buy yourself some Nandos Peri Peri sauce and heat up the ol bbq for now

3 Likes

I also bought half a chicken to go…12 fuking bucks for some shitty chicken. It looks boiled then “glazed”. I am going to give this away to the first homeless person I see

choose more carefully; FWIW many homeless do not eat food given to them and they will not bother to throw it away even if a wastebasket is within arm’s length. they’ll just leave it on a table or throw it on the ground or into the bushes. that happens more often than not to food that is prepared/delivered by folks who then leave.

I gave a homeless person an unopened sandwich from TJ’s and he kissed it to the sky, stuck his tongue out at his buddy then dug in. I buy an extra meal for the homeless man who stands at the end of the McDs drive-thru. He eats it. I’ve made and quickly delivered wrapped sandwiches to the encampment near our street. Most eat them. At least I did until they showed their appreciation by using the side of people’s homes to go to the bathroom and the police made them move, so…

3 Likes

that does not contradict my statement

many homeless do not eat food given to them and they will not bother to throw it away even if a wastebasket is within arm’s length. they’ll just leave it on a table or throw it on the ground or into the bushes. that happens more often than not to food that is prepared/delivered by folks who then leave.

To be fair, though, this statement is very broad and hard to confirm or contradict with more than anecdotes. Without trying to be combative can I ask where this impression comes from?

I agree (if this is part of what you were saying) we should probably be more conscientious about eating and waste habits rather than just relegating castoffs to those less fortunate. However, I’ve witnessed the efforts of organizations that specifically try to combat hunger among the houseless and it does seem to have a positive impacts in several ways. Again, that’s anecdotal and I’m open to learning better ways of helping others so if there’s another perspective on that I’m genuinely glad to hear it.

4 Likes

He makes and distributes food to the homeless regularly and for years