Home Cooking 2020

Why do you stew prime beef? We barely cook it; it’s almost still breathing. And why do you soak grits? Having grown up eating grits, why please?

How about ricotta gnocchi? Kenji's Cooking Show | How to Make Ricotta Gnocchi - YouTube

1 Like

High aspirations :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

No really. Why would anyone stew prime beef? And I promise you, grits don’t need to get soaked n anything. Pinkie swear.

I love how the chowpup really gets into it to enjoy all the delightful dinner aromas! Looks fantastic.

6 Likes

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know…why would you stew prime beef?

Easy and not fancy dinner tonight. Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs + Brown Rice + Green Beans

5 Likes

Whyyyyyyy

Prime is just a grade. Chuck cut for 6.99 can be prime too and if that’s all my butcher sold that’s what I stewed

You have much to learn about heirloom grits :slight_smile:

https://ansonmills.com/recipes/489

7 Likes

You want me to eat chuck as tartar? Chuck is stewing meat. I went to get stewing meat and that’s what the butcher sold me

1 Like

7 Likes

Agreed. When I can get prime brisket, hopefully 2nd cut (point), I slow smoke it for around 12 hours. When I get choice ribeye I grill it to medium rare. Its a grade not a cut. That said in the immortal words of Rodney King, “Can’t we all get along?”
@Nemroz that looks delicious! @DiningDiva that looks delicious. I made fish and chips tonight. Didn’t take pictures. Great fish, but I didn’t cook the fries long enough. So it goes.

3 Likes

That’s a damn fine deal you got.

1 Like

Was thinking about ricotta gnocchi but we had some left over from Bulgarini. Next time. Doesn’t seem too difficult although I’ve never made gnocchi.

1 Like

Kenji has a great tutorial on his at home YouTube series. It’s way simpler than the potato version.

2 Likes

Touche :grin: :upside_down_face:

Once again proving that old adage about ASSUME is correct :wink:

I do, indeed, know that Prime is nothing more than a grade of meat. Shame on me for assuming you were stewing a prime rib.

3 Likes

I actually wish it was more marbled or had more connective tissue. Very lean 3 lbs of meat

Bonus photo

3 Likes

Yea chuck is supposed to range about 3.99-7.99

Potstickers, red-cooked pork belly in steamed buns, sugar snaps and cucumber salad. Didn’t make the dumpling wrappers, but did make the steamed buns.

13 Likes

I didn’t know there was prime chuck.

1 Like

Baking At Republiqué - Pain au Lait experiment
I’ve never really made bread before. Banana bread and brioche for cinnamon rolls do not count. But I’ve been wanting to try it since getting Chef Margarita Manzke’s baking book. No better time to experiment than quarantine kitchen time.

Patience is needed with a 12 hour cold fermentation process, but I didn’t have to knead it much since the stand mixer does most of the work. The crumb came out fantastic, and though mine didn’t have the color that matched the photo in the book, it tasted pretty darned good! The chowpups went to town as it came fresh out of the oven. They managed to go through an entire loaf.

14 Likes