Home Cooking 2020

I like Mentaiko pasta with shredded nori and shiso

I’ve been slowly eating my way through items tucked in the back of my pantry during shelter-in-place. Tonight I finally cooked the Freekeh that I bought at Grocery Outlet forever ago. Cooked up no problem in a pot using my hotplate (I have major issues trying to cook rice using a hotplate). The grain has a nutty flavor and toothsome texture. Tossed it with roasted cauliflower and golden raisins, and topped with feta, almonds, and harissa.

I have a bag of grits I want to rip open soon too, Any favorite grits preparation methods and/or recipes? Vegetarian/pescatarian friendly, please :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I love grits, but I usually just cook them according to the package and douse them with butter, salt and lots of coarsely ground pepper. Then I put a sunnyside egg on top and mash it all together with hot sauce.
Are they heirloom grits? If so they should have been in the freezer. Smell them before you cook them as they may be rancid. If they are processed grits don’t worry about it.
Best of luck!

2 Likes

I usually cook them in half water/half milk with a ratio of 5:1 liquid to grits them finish with butter and black pepper.

2 Likes

All Day Baby’s bacon, onion cheddar scone with a sweet chili glaze ups my brunch game by 1,000. Filled it with sausage, cheese, and some (overcooked) scrambled eggs (I live with people who want coloration on their scrambled eggs :woman_facepalming:t2:). Still tasted delicious. This can also be done with their superb biscuits.

11 Likes

I feel your pain as far as overcooked scrambled eggs go.
Beautiful sandwich!

1 Like

Welp, wasn’t able to make it to the market today! Clearing out the fridge

Fried rice (Tamanishiki) with spam, neuski’s bacon, broccoli, soy pickled onion, Mike & sons fried egg with truffle salt

Wine pairing : York creek Petite Syrah

4 Likes

I know. Lines were ridiculous.

And curfew came very early in parts of West LA

No curfew in San Diego (city, some cities in the county do have curfews), but we are seeing protests, looting, confederate flags, and trucks with good ol’ boys waving their lethal hardware. Things are, understandably, tense.

In the meantime I’ve been stress cooking and baking. 2 more loaves of sourdough and another batch of discard crackers. Tomorrow I’m doing a Lime Jamaica (Hibiscus) Cake. Tonight was this:

Wild caught California King Salmon from Catalina Offshore
Flageolet Beans from Rancho Gordo with carrot, lemon, chives and a bit of thyme
Asparagus that I accidentally hammered.

5 Likes

Lasagna. Kids love it. DiNapoli tomatoes, 80/20 meat, ricotta egg mixture and copious amounts of parm and mozzarella.

9 Likes

Braised e-fu noodles with mixed shroom

11 Likes

i bought 3 packs of beef cheeks when i saw them on sale at only $3.69/lb. OMG i love super king supermarket. it’s hard to describe the texture, but we scarfed it down so quickly we had no time for pics. simple braise using a instapot: seared the meat, then sauteed carrot, onion garlic in some leftover rendered pork fat, a little tomato sauce, deglazed the pan with red wine into the instapot, added a little water and set on the stew setting.

5 Likes

Last day of school for the kids. Dad starting a new job in few weeks. Grilled some prime rib eyes from Bristol Farms. Corn, roasted potatoes and grilled leeks on the side. Broke out a bottle of Morgon. Delicious.

16 Likes

Beef cheeks are the best! Great with pasta. That’s a fantastic deal

If you can’t share a meal with friends, the next best thing is having them share what they’ve made with you.

My neighbor across the street made a delicious cheese sauce with a boatload of melted leeks and gave me some. Her sauce, my pasta.

A very good friend whose hubby is a wonderful gardener gifted me some green beans from their garden. Her green beans, my onions and tomatoes.

Add some tequila in the Shriners glass and I had a pretty darn good dinner tonight.

11 Likes

the closest thing i could think of was oxtail, minus the inconvenience of removing it from the bone (and you’re paying for all meat instead of primarily bone). it occurs to me that any good oxtail recipe would also work well.

2 Likes

Is this sale still on?

i went shopping thursday. i bought 3 of the available 7-8 packages - choosing the most marbled samples - at the altadena branch. i’m not sure if they’re available at other locations.

when i see them available from time to time, they’re rarely more than $3.99 a lb.

now that i’ve let the cat out of the bag…

1 Like

i was back today at the altadena location: seven packages left, about 1.5-2 lbs each.

1 Like