Home Cooking 2020

Here is a link to a good beef ribs recipe since it sounds like you have a surfeit of stock already, A Beef Rib Recipe That's A Cut Above All Of The Rest. Although it is easier with a smoker you can do it with a grill. I have a bunch of prime rib bones in the freezer as well. We have been cleaning out the odds and ends too, as I want to stock up on staples in case the supply chain deteriorates, so I will cook them up soon.

I call things like that “kitchen sink” as in “everything but the kitchen sink.” I hate wasting food and I love dishes that use it. And yours looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing.

It’s my last batch of frozen roast bones. I’ll probably hold off on using them for a bit. I am clearing enough space to reorganize my freezer.
While the stock has been simmering all day, I baked another batch of pain au lait, and converted Friday’s brioche experiment into a bread pudding with a chocolate-peanut butter ganache sauce. It made for great surprise gifts for friends.

4 Likes

Bread thread please!

3 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I will do it this weekend. I want to make another version of baguettes so I can illustrate two methods. Hopefully, @robert, @RedDevil, @Emglow101 and others will weigh in and we can share knowledge.

4 Likes

Chile verde chicken enchiladas and sautéed broccoli for dinner tonight. Thanks to the InstantPot for making the chile verde so easy.
Fat & Flour key lime pie for dessert! So excited.

5 Likes

Yum. I love Chile Verde

1 Like

Meatball subs for dinner last night. The chowpups made the meatballs while I made the sauce. We stuffed it inside French rolls we picked up from Northgate…the rolls are crusty and fluffy and resemblant of banh mi rolls. A little melted mozzarella…it was great.

6 Likes

Try using those rolls from Northgate for breakfast sandwiches. They’re especially good with a fried egg with a runny yolk.

2 Likes

I feel like I am forever trying to use up something before it goes bad. This weekend was no exception.

Shrimp Scampi with pasta last night to use up some shrimp, pasta, parsley, and lettuce and cherry tomatoes in a salad

Pork loin chop with RG Flor de Mayo beans and corn, asparagus and raw salsa verde. I needed to use tomatillos, 2 serrano chiles, cilantro and an ear of corn. This is what happened. I know the salsa looks kind of gloppy, buy it’s really good and this is the texture you get when the tomatillos aren’t cooked.

10 Likes

Memorial Day grilling. Tri-tip, pinquito beans, potatoes and salad. Bought the tri-tip from Jim’s Fallbrook Market, http://www.jimsfallbrookmarket.com/. Its a schlep to the west Valley, but you can’t beat the qpr. Unlike most places they trim all the silverskin and fatcap from it so there is no waste. Did a two zone fire with a few chunks of applewood. Red oak is traditional, but I didn’t want to cut up any of my scrap oak, and I haven’t been able to find oak at BBQs Galore or anyplace else for that matter. Took it to 115 on the cool side and then blasted it to 125 with good Maillard browning. Pretty perfect.

11 Likes

Cochinita pibil. Hope everyone had a relaxing and safe Memorial Day.

12 Likes

Mesquite-smoked ribs for Memorial Day.

12 Likes

Nice job!

1 Like

Beautiful! One of my favorite Mexican dishes. Where did you get the banana leaves?

@ebethsdad, couldn’t find them at Northgate but one of the local Asian markets had them in the freezer section.

1 Like

This one is more home assembling than home cooking…
Banh mi with Chef @JLee’s amazing pork jowl and bi from Ba Le sandwiches. Mayo and pickled veg also from Ba Le. I added cucumber and cilantro. @Chowseeker1999 you would love this combo.

3 Likes

Clams and mussels. A little bacon fat added to the white beans .

9 Likes

Mentaiko pasta. Just toss a couple sacks in with some olive oil and add pasta water as necessary. Is anything easier?

Had a lot of eggs still in the bottom of the pot so I scooped them up put them over some homeade chashu and ate them in nori. Best stoner food of the week.

5 Likes