Home Cooking 2020

Chocolate peanut butter pie. Oreo crust. Chocolate silk. Peanut butter cream. Topped with crushed peanuts and crushed Reese’s Pieces. My daughter’s favorite dessert that I make. And maybe mine too.

13 Likes

That’s lovely!

1 Like

Some rustic Polpette Al Sugo.

Beef, pork, pecorino, etc. I like to fry them off, then simmer for a half hour in the sauce.

Simple tomato sauce from San Marzano tomatoes, tad of garlic, little onion, celery, carrot, basil, bay leaves.

14 Likes

Agreed. Quite good! I love it on the Milton‘s Multigrain crackers.

New York Bagel Company on San Vicente in Brentwood used to make an unreal whitefish salad. Excellent.

Ive seen it (recently) at Costco in Northridge, Woodland Hills, Van Nuys, And Westlake. Didn’t look at Burbank or Marina Del Rey.

It looks like this and it’s next to the smoked salmon and such.

3 Likes

I started to brown my meatballs on my cast iron skillet before dumping into the sauce. For a while I was puttting my raw meatballs into sauce but since I was using 80/20 a lot of residual fat was leaking into the sauce. I like the sear on the meatballs as well.

4 Likes

Is this a reasonable amount of microplaned parm for my 8 year old’s lunch? Should have never taken my kids to Republique, Lilia and Delfina.

9 Likes

Looks about right to me with just a simple tomato sauce. Microplaned looks crazy generous compared with a regular grater.

1 Like

I’ve been super bored with my own cooking lately, but not tonight

Sheet pan dinner…hot Italian sausage, mixed bell peppers, red onion wedges and some thinly sliced garlic. 15 minutes under the broiler and dinner was ready. Served over white rice

Served with one of my favorite red blends

2016 Mistero from Naggiar Vineyards, Amador County, CA.
35% Zinfandel, 35% Sangiovese and 30% Syrah

9 Likes

Love it!!

I eat it that way… ok… maybe I do a LOT more reggiano than that.

To me, this and pizza is a vessel for parm.

Mangia!

2 Likes

Celebrating the Lakers’ first championship in a decade with fried fish ball curry and Riesling.

9 Likes

My wife has gotten very good at baking the last 6 months. The sourdough is great. We bake 2-3 loafs per week and give some away to friends and family.

18 Likes

This has to be one of the easiest Ina Garten recipes ever. I had time to work a full day from home, prep, and throw this dinner into the oven. I was able to do it in between conference calls…30 minutes roasting chicken only, 30 minutes roasting chicken & potatoes, and 15 minutes blasting the oven to crisp the potatoes. Made a quick salad and it was the perfect Monday meal.

My only problem is that my second 30 minute conference call ran late so I got a little too much color on the chicken skin. It still tasted good, but was slightly over.

11 Likes

Uh. Whatttttt.

Have any of y’all ever night this type of rice? I don’t know if I can eat any more of it. Most pungent fertilizer smell… internet confirms it’s referred to as PooPoo rice. What in the holy hell . But then again a bunch of posts say it may be spoiled rice

1 Like

IIRC at the time it was on Alton’s show, there were a lot of them on ebay (for way less than what that one apparently sold for), and they were mostly non-operational. Apparently they were very prone to having the mechanism freeze up, and it wasn’t repairable either, IIRC. I looked into them at the time because it seemed like such a cool thing.

1 Like

Interesting. First I’ve heard of it. Per some sources it’s parboiled, like Uncle Ben’s.

Which is an update to:

Yea i read that yesterday as well. The one i got specifically says Raw rice. It’s so funky… i finally was able to get through it by using toasted sesame oil but concerned that it’s jsut spoiled rice because there are a bunch of users saying it shouldn’t smell badly and that rice can have spoiled

Looks great! I love sourdough. How old is your starter? My friend makes his own as well and it keeps tasting better and better over time. The secret is in the starter he thinks. Any type of American/Western style soup/stew I want some sourdough to go with it. Maybe I lived in SF in a past life?

2 Likes

We bought starter from The Playground in the OC and we also made our own. I’ve seen some other places in LA that is sharing or giving away decades old starter but haven’t made the trek.

The smell of the freshly baked sourdough is intoxicating. I could see us keeping this starter alive for decades and giving some to our kids.

1 Like

Past a few weeks or months it doesn’t matter much how old your starter is. The microbiome evolves.

TLDR but why does everybody always talk about old starters? Our sourdough bread with a relatively young starter has been great.