Home Cooking 2020

Old starters are romantic, and keeping one going for decades is an impressive feat. Though I’d bet that most allegedly ancient starters have occasionally died and been discreetly restarted over the years.

Some Sunday gravy action with lamb, pork ribs and sausage

10 Likes

Can’t believe I just found this thread. Burnt basque cheesecake.

13 Likes

That cheesecake has the perfect ooze!

1 Like

Thanks I just used the pasjoli la times recipe, super easy.

Only tip I have is don’t overcook it. I’ve made it 5 times and the last time the top wasn’t burnt enough and I left it in for a couple extra minutes.

It became just regular cheesecake…

2 Likes

Made it twice. Overcooked it twice. Still a tasty cheesecake but without the oozey gooey center.

1 Like

Calling it “Basque cheesecake” makes it sound like a traditional dish. It’s Santiago Rivera’s / La Viña’s dish.

1 Like

Rivera uses Philadelphia, so substituting old-fashioned cream cheese without gums might be a bad idea.

Just cook it for 5 min less than you normally would.

I know but when I check the cheesecake it’s so jiggly. Goes against all my senses and experience.

2 Likes

Agreed take it out when it’s super jiggly and it’ll be fine.

1 Like

I see THIS turkey in my future!!

8 Likes

Finally! A chance to use all the knowledge I amassed from my upper division Underwater Basketweaving college class…

7 Likes

Your talents and experiences never cease to amaze me…you’re wasting your time saving peoples’ lives when you could be weaving baskets underwater.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Decided to entertain myself with a faisan a la normande. Pretty simple - brown, flambe in calvados, add apples, cream and cider and toss it in the oven. Served with apples sauteed in butter and goose liver on toast.

Nice flavors for autumn. I enjoyed having the calvados and cider around while I cooked.

10 Likes

As the plague goes on and on it looks like I won’t make it to New York to visit any of Xian Famous Food’s branches or to Xian itself for quite some time so I decided to make Biang-Biang noodles at home. Having laid in some superb sichuan pepper, and red chili powder from The Mala Market, http://blog.themalamarket.com/ I set out to do it. BTW @robert has mentioned The Mala Market before and I can’t recommend them enough. Fair warning though - if you use their sichuan pepper use half what the recipe calls for. Nothing you can buy here is like it.
This is my third attempt this week. It takes a little practice, but it pays off. I followed the recipe from the “Xian Famous Foods” cookbook, but substituted Caputo pasta flour for the all-purpose called for. Had to cut the red pepper in half as the first time I made it I had an emergency 4:30 AM bathroom run (TMI), but it still tasted great. A few more attempts and I think it will turn out well.

10 Likes

I don’t think I have seen it in Burbank - but I will look harder next time. But Northridge has it? Mmmmmmmmm.

2 Likes

"Had to cut the red pepper in half as the first time I made it I had an emergency 4:30 AM bathroom run (TMI), but it still tasted great. "

Not TMI, when you work with some spices, that information is extra important I!

4 Likes

That’s a chicken, not a pheasant, right?