Home Cooking 2021

Yummmmmm

Finally got to the lomo saltado. Ended up following the Serious Eats recipe minus the aji which I couldn’t find at Northgate. Substituted a tablespoon of aji amarillo sauce.

I burned the darn plantains.

8 Likes

Looks great! Those tomatoes… When I make my Lomo at home, I make double the sauce and use Steak Fries… SO GOOD. Also, most recipes don’t call for a specific vinegar, but I prefer red wine.

–Dommy!

4 Likes

I tried half white vinegar and half apple cider. My wife said we could have used a bit more. Maybe I’ll try red wine next time.

2 Likes

Looks good! aji verde definitely makes the dish. Next time if you have a Peruvian restaurant around your house you can just probably buy a couple of to go cups off them in a pinch.

I prefer white vinegar it’s punchier and I feel compliments the soy sauce well.

4 Likes

Nachos for linner. Using leftover asada from Salsa & Beer.

I made some salsa de aguacuate

And salsa fresca

9 Likes

150°F outside and I’m making soup. WTF!!

Nothing gourmet here.

I give my dog chicken breasts, a little bit with his kibble. So after roasting bone-in breasts, I would remove the tender and the main breast meat, and save the skin and bones in baggies. When I trimmed my own raw bone-in breasts to use the meat, I also would save the raw rib cages.

Well, last week freezer reached critical mass. I HAD to make my stock. Used the pressure cooker. Everything barely fit.

And since I’m out of freezer space in my tiny freezer, I decided to make soup rather than freeze space-taking stock.

So I decided to just throw in vegetables to my stock. I’m thinking maybe a can of diced tomatoes would have been good. Oh, well.

This has:
Carrots
Celery
Diced onion
Parsley
Peas
White Lima beans (butter beans)
Yukon gold potatoes
Zucchini
And diced chicken breast.

Tastes like chicken soup with well… too many vegetables. As opposed to chicken vegetable (that’s why I think the diced tomatoes would have changed the profile in a good way.)

9 Likes

Noodles? Where are the noodles??
Looks great! I hope you served it with some great bread.

2 Likes

things i’m cooking today (friends visiting from out of town)…

armenian red beans
green borsch from my own sorrell and with neighbor’s eggs
uzbek plov with my own carrots and onions (not growing lamb or rice) with side of my tomatoes and onions sliced super thin
some fresh baked bread
apple crumble with our apples (i should learn to make butter, where do i find raw milk?)
pics to follow

7 Likes
2 Likes

I find Bristol Farms always carries raw milk at least locally. You probably want raw cream for butter though might be harder to find than straight raw milk

2 Likes

Plov is done first

12 Likes

How are the red beans cooked? Like Georgian lobio? My Armenian cookbook has recipes only for white beans.

Maybe I need to try sorrel borscht. It’s been going nuts in our yard. What else do you put in it?

2 Likes

Beautiful! I have helped my Russian friends make this. Involves some male bonding vodka consumption in the process - the wife drives home…

2 Likes

Oh wow. Yes please make green borsch. Any YouTube recipe will do. We like chicken stock, potato, tons of sorrel but mixed with spinach or too sour. Herbs at the end then hard boiled eggs and sour cream when serving. Red Borsch is for not summer unless chilled and green borsch is late Spring and summer for us

6 Likes

Requesting suggestions from the hive mind…

I have a (10 to 12 year old) Weber Genesis gas BBQ. It also has the rotisserie attachment and spit. My grilling skills are competent and I can do a very good rotisserie chicken. As much as I like turning a whole chicken on the spit, I’m looking for something else to stick on the spit. What would all ya’ll suggest?

2 Likes

Is there a distinction between this and schav?

Prime rib. Whole turkey. I imagine pork would be great, though not sure what cut.

2 Likes

Hmmm…not sure I could find a whole turkey in the middle of summer, or at least one that didn’t weigh 15 pounds.

Pork is a great idea but it’s got to be a cut that isn’t too lean or it will end up too dry. I have already considered a pork loin roast but I’m not sure if it has enough fat in it…of course, I could always baste with fat…

How about Pork belly with skin on and do something like this:

2 Likes