Home Cooking 2022

How old when you started doing this? I’m impressed. I started around age 35.

4 Likes

Probably like 9 or 10. It started because I didn’t like cold cereal in the morning because my parents refused to buy any sugary cereals for me, so I would cook myself frozen sausages in the mornings by boiling water in elementary school. One day I decided to cook fried rice after school because we had left over rice in the rice cooker and I knew how to make eggs.

7 Likes

I’m having after school snacks at the wrong house.

7 Likes

A father peddling a bicycle home from a bakery with fresh bread to give to his son . Is the most amazing story i have heard . I bow down to this man .

4 Likes

To be honest he wasn’t that great. As a WWII war hero he undoubtedly had PTSD, an unheard of malady in the '50s and '60s. I won’t go into details, but I experienced the gamut of corporeal punishment. Ebeth has never been hit. I broke the cycle. However he did instill in my siblings and myself a love of good fresh food. I have passed in on to my Ebeth and my nieces.
People are complicated.

10 Likes

Big virtual hugs.

3 Likes

Very similar to what we have for dinner about once a week. I love a good snack plate.

1 Like

I tried it not too long ago. Mushy pasta and filling, sweet sauce. Worth it for the memories.

2 Likes

I wonder if over the years they’ve cut down on the amount of carrot in the sauce. I kind of doubt that 50-60 years ago it contained HFCS.

Tomatoes (Tomato Puree, Water), Water, Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Beef, Crackermeal (Enriched Wheat Flour [Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], May Also Contain Guar Gum), Less than 2% of: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sea Salt, Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour, Soy Protein Concentrate, Caramel Color), Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dehydrated Onion, Potassium Chloride, Caramel Color, Ammonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Flavorings, Enzyme Modified Cheese (Cheddar Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Cream, Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Carotenal [Color]), Yeast Extract, Lactic Aci

d

It definitely didn’t contain HFCS when I was a kid since that crap was not manufactured until 1967. Might have contained sugar though I imagined that it was the carrots that made it sweet (and orange).

2 Likes

With an egg cracked in FTW!

Yep, it comes in handy.

I bet!

2 Likes

As this topic has been vacant for a while how about a return to one of my favorites, biang-biang noodles? I am getting better with practice: the dough recipe calls for very low hydration; I couldn’t pull that off for some time. Now I am close to the prescribed amount of water resulting in a lovely springy texture. Practice with bianging the dough has resulted in thinner noodles as well (although noone would ever mistake them for angel hair). I have a bunch of home grown tat soi so I used that instead of napa cabbage. One of my favorite meals when the lovely wife is having a girls’ night out.

13 Likes

It needs to read LOL to get posted :slight_smile:

@ebethsdad, those noodles look outstanding! I remember they looked great last time you posted also.

2 Likes

Thank you!

More cultural appropriation, Chả Cá Thăng Long. I love Vietnamese cuisine. The best of Asia and Europe. I grow dill just to make this dish!

12 Likes

If you ever want to marry a 75 y.o. woman, let me know and I’ll divorce my husband! Not really but wow! You are an amazing cook. Yay!

5 Likes

Thank you. I am flattered, but I am sure Mr. Oliver is way more worthy than I am.

2 Likes