Horses šŸ“ - Hollywood

Damn. Pugliese-Sicilian fusion.

1 Like

Is it always available? Going this week.

Which part of that is pugliese?

I donā€™t think so, our server had to ā€œcheckā€ with the kitchen when we asked for it.

1 Like

Memory malf8unction, 'nduja is Calabrian, not Pugliese.

Did you know about it going in or did you ask about off menu/specials?

Lol it looked like the persimmon w/ caramel wasnā€™t on the menu when you had it a few weeks ago. I was wondering about that too

2 Likes

i knew about it. i guess itā€™s like one those in-n-out ā€œsecret-not-so-secretā€ menu items, iykyk.

1 Like

Try the ā€œanimal styleā€ crostini. They smear your hands with avocado and anchovies.

1 Like

Well shitā€¦. Iā€™m so glad I listened to yallā€¦. Had such a fun time today and booked the next rez. While the French room looks perfect and the back room is cozy as hell for me itā€™s the pikey bar room with uneven booths.

Sat in the same spot we were in last time we were there 4 years ago

Lots of moods from hostessā€¦ heavy vibes throughout and once I opened the wine list and saw Areni all sorts of bells went off. Turns out the dude is Armenian! And then I just keep seeing things like lavashā€¦ā€¦ smoked fishā€¦. Vine grilled meatā€¦. Crushedā€¦ gave love to the chef . So special. Somm tried to school us on the wine but the girl I was with was giggling because I just described everything he was talking about.

Trying way more things next time. The bold cumin crusted chop is not to be slept on. Ballsy spicy pasta (apper is not shy). Salad was great and the cheesecake should be ordered double wow. Ice cream was rich

Also I donā€™t know when a scoop of ice team reached 16$ ($NB) but thatā€™s pushing it lol. All desserts are pricy in fact though I shall have to let it slideā€¦ the tribe and all

16 Likes

had to come back to try some more @butteredwaffles recs :heart_eyes:
horses welcome to the neigh-borhood

sobrassada panino
this and the anchovy toast are must orders, so good :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

pork rillettes
smooth and fatty, textbook.

boudin basque with fried henā€™s egg
@Nemroz how did you not order this, the panino, anchovy toast, and hen? :heart:

nsfw

tagliarini with anchovies, butter and puntarelle
oh so buttery with the perfect pasta texture, i didnā€™t taste much anchovies though.

swordfish brochette with crushed white beans and tapenade
the server had me at ā€œswordfish bellyā€. super tender and moist belly on top of creamy beans. thanks @butteredwaffles

marzipan stracciatella ice cream with amarena cherry
iā€™ll quote my server ā€œlike a cherry garcia on crackā€

13 Likes

Online menu shows ice cream $12.

If you order desert, they canā€™t turn the table as soon, so for a restaurant that (like Horses) is booked solid at peak times and open late, it makes sense to factor table rental into the dessert prices.

16 @Nemroz bucks

3 Likes

Bruhhhh. I saved the blood sausage until I bring my girlā€¦sheā€™s obsessed. Next weekā€¦ I was with not her

Beautiful photos.

As much as I have a sweet tooth I thought that ice cream was too sweet!

1 Like

. :woozy_face: Cocktail, wine bottle, appetizer, entre, dessert per person and attempt to charge tips on TOP of bill+tax+service charge more than covers my 1 hour and 45 minutes at the place I was at for years before they moved in :pinched_fingers:t3::pinched_fingers:t5::pinched_fingers:

But it is so dumb to bitch about prices and Iā€™m sad I brought it upā€¦ I didnā€™t even pay for itā€¦ but was interesting noticing that desserts prices are reaching new heights. In the end it doesnā€™t matter and they should charge what the market will bearā€¦ they have the freedom and so do we to mention it

2 Likes

bruhhhh, Iā€™ll allow it.

2 Likes

So the SO loved it as much as I thought. And I didnā€™t reveal the Armo angle until laterā€¦ because she tends to roll her eyes at me making a big deal about ethnicity stuffā€¦

Great time. We had a few happy hour cocktails at Electric Owl which is a great bang bang. Walking distance and itā€™s one of the more cozy places around all designed like an old subway station.

Home made Egg nog was really fun.

There was a line on sunset before. Then walked over and had 2 great gin cocktails at the Horses bar while Karasi was breathing (iā€™m always going to order Armenian wine if i see it, iā€™m weird).

I asked for the same table again. Though itā€™s the casual loud area itā€™s where we have the most fun plus itā€™s sentimental. Iā€™ve only ever sat in this table, since the Pikey days. 4 and counting

As I thought the Basque blood pudding was a major hit with her. Should have ordered a second.

And she really loved the endive caesarā€¦ going to try and recreate it for a party this week.

Then we went with their special - a shallow cioppino version which was really wonderful. Freshest prettiest tomato sauce iā€™ve had in ages. Worked super well.

Had to try their angel hair with a crab sauceā€¦ really wonderful too. delicate and super crabby. I like how they use breadcrumbs on multiple dishes. smart.

Itā€™s going to be difficult for me to not order the Pork chop here. Iā€™m 2 for 2. Shocking how this much cumin isnā€™t overpowering. She really loved the cumin too. They served it with cabbage and lentil this time. Even better than the first

Cheesycake was gorgeousā€¦ had to have 2.

I made a joke when they refreshed their paper cover that we should have some crayons and server brings us a boxā€¦ so my now very buzzing wife decides to start rendering a horseā€¦ she is very much out of practice but we really enjoyed the rendition of the buzzed dragon like horseā€¦ hostess had to take photos and the picture was gifted to Will the apper. so fun.

12 Likes

gm was telling me how whole cumin is a lot subtler than ground cumin, thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t overpower.

bruhhh, no panino, anchovy toast, or game hen again?

dip the panino in the cioppino!

1 Like

You bet

Ya we donā€™t go for bready things much. Fill up too fast. Sheā€™ll never order a sandwich no matter what pretty Italian name it goes by. I do want to try them all though

3 Likes