Howlin' Ray's

Nice what did you get?

How do you text them? Is there a specific number?

I got the Sando Medium and 3 chicken wings. shit was delicious!

I just told google to call Howlin Rays in Chinatown and when no one answered it went to VM and it said for faster service I could text the same number. So I thought it’s a simple question, maybe I’ll get a fast simple reply and sure enough. The number is 213-935-8399.

8 Likes

Will the line never be “front of the line pass-worthy” ever again?

4 Likes

Now, that I’m going. I hope not. lol

5 Likes

Hot pickles? Uh… yum!

3 Likes

Living life on the A Line, my new Trader Joe’s is the OG Trader Joe’s…. Getting off at Fillmore station, I notice the number of ‘outposts’. There is a Pitfire, Shake Shack, Superba, Howlin Rays and just opened on Monday, Slab.

Today we needed to pick up some Joe Os and Milk, so we headed over to lunch at Howlin Rays,

We hadn’t been to this location and were happy to find the line not too long and the service as usual super friendly! They had a great system where you ordered and then they secure you a table. We wanted inside because it was a bit warm today, but the table that opened up was in the patio, which actually was nicely shaded and quite pleasant.

We ordered a quarter of dark meat, Tenders, Collards, Slaw and Mac N Cheese. Our Order came up quickly, but we noticed they gave us a white quarter. We didn’t even touch it, but they said to take it! They would bring out a dark quarter right away. So we ended up quite the feast!!

All through the pandemic we missed their actual fried chicken pieces as they focused a smaller and quicker menu. So we dove right into this. They were as good as remember. Their brine just so makes the difference. The Dark pieces were so succulent, but that breast piece was amazing.

The tenders were a new item for us, they were quite good and huge as they promised. The bring didn’t seem to penetrate these guys though. Also the dilly ranch was quite good, but honestly, I still prefer the pieces. I will say though, they were all not as cronchy as I remember. Maybe I’ve been just been spoiled by the super crunchy BB.Q.Chicken coating. But I remember getting Howlin delivery last year and it was so crisp and coating much thicker. But they were sandwiches.

As for the sides…

The cole slaw was still awesome, Vinegary dressing, but so balanced. The Collards were as good as ever. So melt in your mouth, not too vinegary either, the tomato just adds another layer of complexity to the liquor. I had not tried their Mac and Cheese and it was the perfect thing to go with the collars. I would have preferred it with a little more sharper cheese flavor, but it was creamy and the shells a good past choice.

All in all, a really great lunch and will be back. Although now I hear that Tokyo Fried Chicken has opened up a location in DTLA… So…. After that….

24 Likes

Awesome reporting @Dommy! Thanks!

1 Like

what’s the line sitch at the original these days?

1 Like

I think it’s not bad also I believe they post updates on their insta stories but you’re anti-insta!

1 Like

There were no more than 20-30 people lining up the last few times I passed by.

2 Likes

I’ve been over there a few times, once at the burger place and another time at the bookstore and the most was like 5 people in line.

2 Likes

what’s the chinatown line sitch these days?

1 Like

At least on social media it’s pretty variable and can be even close to no wait. Another method is to order off Postmates and have it delivered nearby, I had it delivered to silver lake not too long ago and it was super good still

4 Likes

Went on Saturday during prime lunch time (1pm) and waited about 30 min total from getting in line to getting my food. It was also their 8th birthday yet it didn’t feel busy. Mario is back at Chinatown getting ready to bring back dine-in. I’m excited for that and assuming more people are going to Pasadena right now for the sit down experience + alcohol.

9 Likes

I still have a front of the line pass, unused.

4 Likes

I do as well.

3 Likes

+1.

2 Likes