Indian Buffet Question

In your collective experience, how well does the lunch buffet at a given Indian Restaurant reflect the quality of its menu as a whole? I ask this after being pretty disappointed with Mayura’s today (please keep in mind that having lived most of my life in LA and NYC, I’m fairly certain I’ve never had truly great Indian food).

I was by myself so figured the buffet would be my best bet to try different things, but honestly didn’t think it was even as good as a lot of places that I always assumed were mediocre.

Great question.
I do not think they track well - but I admit to minimal experience in Los Angeles with any decedent Indian from Buffets or Menus

1 Like

Does Sri Lankan food count?

If so, then the lunch buffet at Apey Kade is a true gem.

1 Like

According to this updated yelp review from 9/4, Apey Kade has recently discontinued the lunch buffet :anguished:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/apey-kade-tarzana?hrid=8rsbpwtmzFZy47AFCzi5kw&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

Hmm, who are we to believe?

The restaurant who is advertising the AYCE Lunch Buffet for September 4? Or a yelp review saying that as of September 4 no more lunch buffets?

worth noting said yelper has written 777 reviews. a sign of credibility and general mental well being if i’ve ever seen one

@ipsedixit I saw that too, and so I did some investigation; it appears they were advertising a one-day lunch buffet because the menu they’ve posted on their facebook page does NOT make any mention of a lunch buffet, but there does seem to be a Sunday brunch buffet and a Friday/Saturday dinner buffet now (circled in blue):

2 Likes

i, too, felt the food at the mayura buffet was inferior to most of the other indian food i’ve had on the westside.
never went back after that experience.

Yup, you’re absolutely right.

Confirmed from Apey Kade themselves

2 Likes

Please tell me what disappointed you about Mayura’s buffet (please don’t say meat options).

Going tomorrow for Onam.

Maybe the Apey Kade lunch buffet is a Labor Day special. I would call before making a trip.

to my palate: bland, watery

These are exactly the words I would use.

is your palate hip to Kerala cuisine?

Here for Onam feast today and it’s stupendous

No, it’s not. But doing a cursory bit of googling I’d say that Kerala is not well represented in the lunch buffet, which appeared to have all the more standard buffet items (done not particularly well).

But you may in fact have answered my original question on this thread. I’ll have to go back for dinner to confirm.

Congratulations ipsedixit, you were the only one to actually ask the restaurant itself.

1 Like

While I’m not Indian by heritage, it’s my favorite cuisine. Started at Paul Bhalla’s in Westwood around 1975, spent a month in London in 1977 and ate mostly Indian at all levels, from Bombay Brasserie to Veeraswami to holes in wall and Bhel Puri shops. Back many times since, also Edinburgh. Best buffet I know is still weekends at Bombay Brasserie; nothing is close. Small plates all day at Mother India in Edinburgh and Glasgow, Bay Leaf in New York City (10 yrs ago), and Amber in SF and San Jose are tops. Never had anything as good here though have tried to find. Best now is Maharaja on Westwood Bl, biased by good Rasmalai (dessert) on the buffet, but their best is still at dinner. Nawab in Santa Monica sadly went downhill. I loved the Kerala Fish Curry at Mayura on its lunch buffet a while ago, but little else was close to its level. Have been off the Web food scene since effective demise of Chowhound, but am glad to have found this one; looking forward to other opinions on local Indian restaurants of merit.

4 Likes

Welcome to FTC!

Have you been recently? I’ll be there in about 5 wks and could use some recs… :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’re going to the Festival! Our most recent, 4th time was in 2012. Mother India was the big hit for us in 2012. The first MI was in Glasgow; the Edinburgh one was superb. Small plate style but pricing is very fair for what you get, fresh, flavorful, and great variety. I think we went 4 or 5 times—unusual for us, as it was excellent, well-located, and best of all took no lunch-to-dinner break during Festival, my bane in Eurotravel, even more so with Festival schedules. Also good—Kalpna, a vegetarian Indian that is reliable, clean, convenient, very reasonable—not stunning but always good. There’s a very nice Indian on the major street (multiple names) that runs east from Princes Street toward the University—starts with an “s”—upstairs on that busy street—it is directly across from the new modern “Festival” theater. Excellent at lunch (buffet) and dinner. My files from that trip are boxed up but I will see if I can find them— receipts with more names are there. Right next to Mother India is an excellent place to hear Scottish music live—the Royal Oak. Enjoyed much. Have fun!

2 Likes