Italian cooking is the baseline for me

Delete

Why

I’m from the add more flavor camp

you add more seasonings when you have less than quality ingredients. it’s been instilled in me that when you have quality ingredients, you let them do the heavy lifting… having said that, i’d still be inclined to add rosemary and garlic to a roasted chicken, but then chicken quality at your typical supermarket is so poor.

Well, OP had already commented that the seafood was garbage. I think what you’re saying is kinda/sorta true. You can make food taste better or you can enhance the flavor that’s already there. A couple of years ago I discovered that fish sauce can improve almost anything.

I came across this and am sharing.

hyperbole

But not praise-worthy obviously.

It’s average supermarket seafood.

Even if it wasn’t, I’d use my quality stock instead of water. I do same when thinning out mole etc… Never dilute flavor with just water. Restaurant training.

If you’re the kind of cook who uses recipes only for general guidance and adjusts measurements based on experience and intuition, Essentials of Classic Cooking shouldn’t cause you any problems.

It’s still crappy compared with the two great cookbooks it was adapted from.

1 Like

But you would have had seafood stock with the lobster and shrimp shells. And, as I mentioned, I’ve found fish sauce to be a miracle worker when something is subpar.

What do you make your chicken stock from?

Old roosters, hens that don’t lay any more, all those extra baby chicks. The usual. Why, what do you use?

Sorry, what I meant was does she put anything other than chicken in the pot. I don’t . With water. And I used feet, necks and backs.

But I didn’t. I wanted to use what I wanted to use for a reason, because it’s better to me. Add all the fish sauce you want, i’m not adding fish sauce to a fishy dish.

What I asked was, what do you make your chicken stock from? And also why didn’t you just make stock from your lobster/shrimp shells and water? PS: Have you ever used fish sauce in any thing?

There is no 1 chicken stock. I make 4 or 5 different kinds of chicken stock /broth. I used what I used because that’s what I wanted to use, I already explained why, it’s extra flavor than just a watery shrimp and lobster shell stock

yes, i always have fish sauce at home

Alright, sigh. What was in the stock you used for this dish? You know, you did post this on Home Cooking. When I’m not interesting in discussing something I’ve cooked I put it on Random Food Photos.

I don’t know. It has been in my freezer for weeks.

here’s an example … there’s a whole chicken in there that i’ll take the meat off of after 50 minutes of simmering and return everything else back to the broth after smashing the bones

Well, if you make four or five different kinds of stock I figured you used each one for a particular thing. So really no way to pinpoint the problem.