Italian cooking is the baseline for me

There is no problem. I am really puzzled by you. Why are you auditing my stock?

The dish was very good, despite average supermarket seafood .

You wrote THIS:
“garbage ass Ralph’s seafood… we’ve got crap around us”
Sure didn’t sound “very good.” Over and out.

the seafood was average… the shellfish… the ingredient… not the dish … the dish is not called seafood… the dish is seafood pasta… which i made pretty damn well. fish sauce wouldn’t make this average Ralphs product any better… my chicken stock definitely made it better… not sure why i’d post a dish that didn’t work out

2 Likes

I feel you . There is no way in hell to make bad seafood good . It’s always going to taste like shit . I have a problem where I live now with it . So I eat chicken. Even the wf in Santa Cruz where I used to live . I would buy a whole branzino. It had stink belly. Why don’t you clean it . The monger says we get more money for the weight . Nuff said .

2 Likes

So do you remove the skins?

And you know this how? I’ve ‘brightened’ all sorts of dishes with a tablespoon or two of fish sauce. And they weren’t Asian in the least.

Yes, with a food mill.

Oxo Food Mill

1 Like

One of the very few things I don’t have :slight_smile: Easily solved!

first, i will define bad seafood as anything you can smell, which usually includes the inexpensive freezer bags of mixed seafood once they’ve been thawed, however, those bags are perfect for rice porridge with the inclusion of some minced fresh ginger.

1 Like

I’ve wondered what one could reasonably do with that. Sounds tasty.

Because fish sauce mainly adds umami whereas stocks add a number of other flavors which will “mask” not great seafood which isn’t really possible just with umami

2 Likes

skills… mad skills

3 Likes

and you’re risking bringing out more fishiness of already fishy things

i wouldn’t make it today seeing as it’s 104 degrees outside. but it’s a quick easy meal in cooler weather. i try to stock up when those bags are on sale.

BTW, you can also lower the level of “fishiness” by soaking it in milk. the casein binds with trimethylamine. rinse it and pat it dry. if it’s not too far gone to begin with, it will smell better.

milk also works on offal.

2 Likes

the preface clearly states that the recipes were rewritten by hazan herself reflecting the change in eating habits resulting in “moving always towards a simpler clearer expression of their primary flavors, and toward a steadily diminishing reliance on cooking fat.”

recipes were omitted as a result of their somehow no longer fitting wholly in the category of being dedicated to classic italian cooking techniques or because hazan felt that the recipes could not be successfully executed because of “imponderables that no set of instructions could adequately convey” (but could probably be explained on youtube).

Pan fried in cast iron before dropping into the sauce. I’m going this route from now on.

5 Likes

Thanks 'man.

I suspect those were lies made up by some asshole editor.

They dropped great recipes that worked fine. They arbitrarily cut fat without retesting, resulting in some recipes that don’t work.

perhaps you could give some examples instead of repeating a ranting generalization.

1 Like

It’s been over 25 years so I don’t remember which of the recipes failed and made me realize I’d spent good money on a bad edition and had to go back to the originals. I think maybe the pasta dish where you peel the bell peppers with a vegetable peeler and cook them in butter? I think one of my favorite recipes they dropped is the zuppa dei poveri with stale bread and rocket.