January 2022 Rundown

really good, but not one-and-a-half-hours-of-waiting-good. maybe 10 minutes.

8 Likes

Los Dos Chingones - Boyle Heights

Mixto carnitas, mixto chilaquiles breakfast burrito - :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: my goodness this was tasty and I loved the pickled onions and habanero chile mixture to top off each bite. I mean, pork skin carnitas inside a breakfast burrito with that crunch from the chilaquiles is just amazing. The refried beans weren’t too shabby either.

15 Likes

This is my kink.

15 Likes

I would double fist that with La Azteca’s chile relleno burrito. Good call with the cueritos.

2 Likes

Might as well swoop by Lupe’s Burritos for a green or red combo burrito as well. There is quite a lot of burrito spots in the general area for an East Los burrito crawl??

3 Likes

How do you like Lupe’s vs Al N Beas? Always wanted to try them since Jonathan Gold mentioned them as one of his favorite bean and cheese burritos.

An East Los/BH burrito crawl would be great. I would skip on El Tepeyac though!

1 Like

They’re both pretty dang good but Al N Beas comes out slightly ahead (for me). Lupe’s is great but Al N Beas just has a real savoriness that helps balance the bitterness that sometimes comes with dried peppers.

I read a while back that George’s was trying to use chicken stock like Al N Beas to emulate the quality- the result is solid but there’s still something about Al N Beas that’s a little extra.

4 Likes

+1 for A&B over Lupe’s, though my in-laws believe the opposite. Which is just to say - they’re both really good, iconic for a reason. That salsa at Lupe’s is legit hot AF too.

2 Likes

I like the red at Lupe’s and the green at Al and Beas. The red beef and bean at Lupe’s is hot AF.

There is also a new Burritos La Palma in Boyle Heights and swing by El Ruso in Arts District for the sobaquera.

Finish with La Moscota tres leches cake or some churros at Churros Don Abel.

7 Likes

Courage is worth the hype but the line can be absurd. I’m up early with my kids these days so I just go between 645-7a and there’s never more than 5 people in line so I’m out of there by 715

4 Likes

Is that just weekends or are the lines bad on weekdays as well?

La Vina is so special we took one of their glasses… We’ve never ever done anything like that before

1 Like

and if Elkano is booked we loved our rodaballo at Iribar down the street

Yep!! The were so mobbed when we went

Long lines every day they are open.

2 Likes

Ohmigod, too early…

3 Likes

Keep going east on Whittier Blvd, stop at Chronis for a Chili Dog appetizer and when you get to Pico Rivera stop at Mario’s Tacos. The red, bean n cheese, green burritos, French Fries are great and are better than the places mentioned above. Don’t forget to ask for salsa for the Bean n Cheese burrito and fries. I have been going to Mario’s for many years. Its got an interesting, unique interior and as a bonus there is a Tommy’s across the street, and parking lot adjacent is a pretty good mexicancatessen and a micro brew. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Dang, I was just there too early for lunch at the Curry Hut just down the street! Will definitely try Mario’s Tacos when in the area next.

Hail Mary Pizza
Savannah
Salami, Calabrian chilis, pickled jalapeño, tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, black pepper

Fat + Flour
Hand Pie
Boysenberry

Bombera (Oakland)
Dungeness Crab Gordita

Pozole Verde

Toasted Almond Chile Misantla Spicy Carrots

Free for All

Flan

Menu

16 Likes