JeetKuneBao's NYC (and nearby) eats

True, but if you’re a pizza completist (and @hungryhungryhippos might be), it should be on the list. As should

https://joeandpatsnyc.com/menu

and

2 Likes

You’d want more than a few days in NYC.

#goals

when i visited U.P.N. several years ago, i found the quality to be notably lower than when he was running the show completely solo in SF (right before he moved to nyc). still very good, probably top 10 percentile, but not fully achieving its potential (which i would rate best in the country). in various interviews, it appears he has gone through a bunch of life changes and is reinvigorated as well as sole owner post-pandemic, so maybe the quality has returned?? (the fact that he’s doing a whole bunch more pizzas with toppings makes me slightly skeptical… in SF it was only 1 pizza that wasn’t a variant of marinara or margherita)

if the quality has in fact returned, then Una Pizza Napoletana is definitely a must-visit even in NYC.

1 Like

If the quality has slipped, it’s surely not because he’s trying to do too much:

• The menu has only six pizzas (five of which are only tomato and/or cheese) with optional Reggiano, Calabrian hot pepper, anchovies, and pepperoni.
  • They’re open only three nights a week, first reservation at 5:00, last at 9:15.
  • They won’t seat parties larger than four.
  • They make only enough dough for one pizza per person.
1 Like

lol fair enough. as i said - slightly skeptical. his frozen pizza business also adds slightly to that skepticism
but in sf, he wasn’t doing a daily special pizza - it was just the apollonia, and only i think weekends? or saturdays? i guess after 20some years of making the same thing, he might be allowed to venture out beyond tomatoes, cheese, basil, olive oil…

1 Like

Oh yeah forgot Joes and Pats. Save yourself a trip to Staten Island.

@hungryhungryhippos Essentially the same pizza as Rubirosa without the crowds. Same family. You can get the tie dye here as well.

1 Like

When I went to UPN in SF there were just four pizzas, and all were were cheese and/or tomatoes.

Once was enough for me. The pizza was great but Neapolitan’s not my favorite style.

Don’t get crazy with the toppings.

Cheese is a good barometer. Pep at the most.

Some places will let you do half pep half cheese. John’s of Bleecker, try and go early. Slices can always be requested to be reheat. More crispy or less. Squares/Sicilians/Grandmas you can always ask for the corner slice. It’s tempting but don’t waste calories and stomach real estate on dollar slices.

Maybe @small_h knows but L’industrie and Mama’s Too are coming to the Village.

Insane.

John’s of Bleecker, Joes, Bleecker Street, L’industrie, and Mama’s Too. In addition to all the fancy Italian Italian restaurants, new school Italian-American restaurants, and a good handful of non touristy Little Italy/Nolita spots.

2 Likes

John’s doesn’t do slices, do they?

My order there is a SMOG, aka a Chubby Vesce plus mushrooms.

I’d heard about the latter, not the former. We’re also getting these guys

in Essex Market, so I gotta figure out the barter thing. I hope they don’t cut into Slice’s business.

2 Likes

Only whole pies at John’s.

3 Likes

for better or worse, i have to say that the places dave portnoy has rated >=9.0 in his onebite reviews that i’ve tried have almost all been the highest standard-bearers of NYC pizza… (anything >8.0 and you’re already dealing with very good pizza)

1. Lucali (9.3)
  2. John’s of Bleecker (9.3)
  3. Luigi’s Pizza (9.3)
    Lucali and John’s get automatic advantage for the fact that you have to order a fresh pie, so they have strong control of the temperature/crust texture interaction

i found di fara (9.4) a bit meh, but it has long been a foundational block in the pizza tour itineraries. dunno how it’s fared since the passing of Dom Di Fara

3 Likes

Agree. Those 3 are spectacular pizza.

All great in their own way.

Lucali is a hassle. That calzone is also pretty damn good. Buy a bottle of wine down the street.

My last pizza in NYC was Luigi’s.

Gio also keeps the prices low. Luigi’s is everything you imagine a NYC pizza joint should be. The smell, the look, the feel, and the Italian immigrant story. It’s in Brooklyn baby! Tourists ain’t taking the R to Prospect.

4 Likes

Years ago, I found Atoboy to be kinda whatever, but Atomix is super high on my list. Couldn’t get in this trip.

Think we are going to do Cote which I’m excited about. Also, gonna try to squeeze in L’industrie. Is Fish Cheeks really something I should consider after going to Anajak and Night Market this past week?

I miss Hometown. Used to go there then to Sunny’s.

Unless you like Thai style steamed fish and crab fried rice than you could probably pass. Sounds like you had enough Thai.

1 Like

I’ve been to both atoboy and atomix and i also found atoboy to be okay but not great. However atomix is imo the best restaurant in nyc, better than emp pre vegan era, le bernardin, per se, and narrowly chefs table

Cote is a cool experience to try but tbqh as a korean i prefer other kbbq joints lol. Mapo in flushing is amazing

L’industrie is my favorite slice in the city!

4 Likes

ugh I gotta plan a trip back just for Atomix.

2 Likes

Dom DeMarco

You guys have me hyped for atomix. Is there a drink pairing you guys would recommend for a meal either bottle of wine or alcoholic beverage we won’t likely be doing the wine pairing.

1 Like