JeetKuneBao's NYC (and nearby) eats

La Pirana Lechoneria, South Bronx.

One of my favorite spots and experiences in NYC.

Yes that is a machete hacking up lechon. Angel aka The Pirate is cool AF. So friendly and welcoming of all.

Octopus salad, mofongo, and lechon. All of it was delicious.

The chicharon with that mojo……one of the best bites in NYC.

5 Likes

I love NYC and I miss it everyday.

The food scene imo is just as good as LA/So Cal. They both have their pros and cons. I spent alot of time, money, walking, taking the train to experience the most of NYC. There is still a lot I haven’t done. If I have the means I would love to keep an apartment there. The accessibility and walkability. You can’t beat that. For $2.75 I can go across the city.

The food scenes in other major east coast cities….Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington DC. Hmm I would definitely say Philadelphia is number 2 behind NYC.

4 Likes

Is that the Sicilian or the upside down slice? I had an upside down a few weeks back and enjoyed it. If you’re ever back in midtown area bookmark Upside Pizza. @small_h recommended and its way better than Joe’s time square and better than NY Pizza Suprema.

2 Likes

Shoot I can’t remember if it’s the Sicilian, upside down, or grandmas lol

I had Upside in Nolita. Pretty solid!

3 Likes

Are you talking about Sicilian pizza or NYC Sicilian pizza?

1 Like

Going back to nyc for the first time since I lived there in grad school like 5-6 years ago. Any must eats?

2 Likes

What’s your budget?

Budget is infinite lol but it’s for this weekend so atomix is gone. Also in town for a friends engagement so would need to get 4 in.

2 Likes

Emily (Brooklyn location). Probably the burger ATM.

Lilia (Brooklyn). Italian. Plenty of other Italian places in the Village.

Cote. Think Korean BBQ meets steakhouse.

Hometown BBQ. Some say the pastrami is better than Katz.

Don Angie, Carbone, and Rubirosa for new school Italian-American.

Fish Cheeks, Soothr, Thai Diner. I like Fish Cheeks for Thai seafood.

High end fine dining Korean. There are other places besides Atomix. Jua, Atoboy, Jungsik, and others. I went to Atoboy.

L’industrie for pizza. Mama’s Too for squares.

If I was coming from LA I would just eat pizza and bagels lol

5 Likes

Fong On, Chinatown.

Tofu shop. The savory tofu pudding is just wonderful. Those steamed rice cakes also freaking good. This is one of Chinatown’s best.

1 Like

The pastrami is great but the bread sucks. It came apart. A pastrami that good deserves something better. Great vibes and atmosphere.

Zabar’s cookie and coffee makes a great snack!

Billy’s Hot Dog Cart. Billy represents the best of NYC food vendors. Onion sauce. All hot dogs should have onion sauce! NYC classic.

Rays Candy Store. Another NYC classic. The sweetest man. Get a NYC egg cream.

3 Likes

La Cabra.

Holy shit this place bangs hard. In-house bakery. Great coffee.

Pack to the gills with NYU and FIDM girls lol on the weekend.

That cardamom bun! Wow! I moaned out loud eating this at Tompkins Square.

Fish Cheeks. Steamed fish with garlic, lime, and herbs.

La Bicyclette. That raisin bread bro! I got a bunch of other stuff that I stuffed my face before Brooklyn Museum but this raisin bread I liked the most

4 Likes

Parisi. The Dennis Sandwich. Holy moly what a sandwich. Shared the other half with a homeless dude.

Wu’s Wonton King. This razor clams dish was spectacular. The wontons are thick I prefer Maxi’s in Flushing. But this razor clams dish! Wow!

Bacon wrapped chives at Grand Street Skewer Cart. Easily one of the best street carts in Manhattan.

My favorite deli, Sunny and Annie’s. Baconeggcheese with kimchi

4 Likes

Kono for chicken yakitori.

Yoshino for sushi.

Probably the 2 big Japanese addition to NYC

4 Likes

Love that you are repping Mama’s Too. Are you partial to the Cacio e Pepe or the pear or pepperoni?

And have you been to Dhamaka or Semma? Those are on my list…

1 Like

Angry Nonna!

Will have to make a return visit for the other flavors.

Have not tried Dhamaka passed by it all time.

1 Like

Name more pizza spots I will book mark them all lol! Central and south Manhattan preferred!

So far I have John’s on bleecker, scares, Nolita, upside, and suprema.

1 Like

I am also a fan. Kong Kee is great, too, for cooking at home.

1 Like

Yes, it’s that good. Also very expensive (for pizza).

Wylie Dufresne’s newish place. I went a couple weeks ago - the ramp pizza (a special) was fantastic, as was the egg yolk pizza.

3 Likes

Unless Neapolitan is your favorite style, in which case you want to get the Mangieri experience at least once, I’m not sure Una Pizza Napoletana is a must for anyone coming from LA since (1) it’s not NY-style and (2) LA has excellent Neapolitan-style pizza places.