JeetKuneBao's NYC (and nearby) eats

Maison Pickle maybe or Jacob’s Pickles. Banh Shop House. North Miznon. Jing Fong. Pastrami Queen. And Kebab aur Sharab got a pretty good review from Pete Wells recently.

Some of these may take longer than an hour though.

2 Likes

First night. Against my better judgement I went to Joe’s Pizza near Times Square. The wait was about 15 mins. It’s packed with tourists. Waste of a slice. The bright tomato sauce I remember from a decade ago is gone. Don’t waste your time or money. $4 for plain slice. In my defense my hotel is a block away so I gave it the old college try.

The closest good pizza spot near Joe’s is NY Pizza Suprema. About 10-15 mins walk. Bourdain loved this joint and they have a huge picture of him hanging in the restaurant. This place is known for its upside down slice and for good reason. Great bright tomato sauce and beautiful crunchy but pliant crust. Very good slice. I got a pepperoni slice to compare to Joe’s. While it was better a little different with the grana padano. Would come back from a few upside down slices.

8 Likes

For next time:

3 Likes

Ugh that’s so close to my hotel. Damn Tourist Trap Joes. Thanks for the recommendation. Looks good.

2 Likes

I hope you get to try it! I think it’s really good.

@small_h geeat recommendation. Best slices of the trip. The white slice with broccoli rabe & sausage was wonderful. Not usually a big white slice fan but this was a good balance of ricotta, broccoli and the sausage.

Pepperoni slice was all that I wanted. Regular slice of pizza with curled up grease chalices with the right amount of cheese and bright tomato sauce with a good crust. Foldable but not floppy. Best NY slice I’ve had in a while.

6 Likes

Oh, great! I’m a fan of the mushroom slice. And the plain. (I don’t eat meat, so nothing to say about the sausage or pepperoni.) I’m glad you liked it.

1 Like

I ate at 4 different pizza places in a span of 24 hours. The last one, Emmy Squared, was not intentional. We needed a place to watch the Rangers and didn’t want to go to a sports bar. This pie had ricotta, banana peppers and sausage. Good crispy cheesy crunchy crust. I can see the appeal of this style. Cousin of Sicilian but not as thick. More like focaccia. Ricotta was too much and too overpowering. Had to get rid of 75% of it. Tasty enough.

6 Likes

Is @JeetKuneBao still around? Or is he just busy with his residency?

3 Likes

He posts frequently on HO.

2 Likes

did something precipitate the departure??

2 Likes

I have a vague memory of him saying something on HO about having difficulties posting on FTC.

He’s def missed! I hope what ever it is gets straightened out

3 Likes

Same here.

In the meantime, he’s posting often on this HO thread - seems like he’s eating very well!

2 Likes

Exact same software as HO.

1 Like

Different moderator

:wink:

1 Like

I don’t believe I’ve ever moderated one of his posts.

4 Likes

Glad he’s posting somewhere. IIRC, he was gone for awhile on HO, too, so I was a bit worried.

2 Likes

probably just indigestion :innocent:

4 Likes

Kopitiam’s char kway teow! Blood clams in there. My favorite CKT.

NY Pizza Suprema. Damn good Sicilian. Mama’s Too has my favorite square.

5 Likes