Johnny's West Adams

Thank you for the imaginative depiction @Nemroz. One I’m not soon to forget.

Coming soon Balls of Curry! Brought to you by the producers of Fists of Fury!

6 Likes

Per article it’s not Travis Lett’s but Danny Elmaleh of nearby Mizlala

1 Like

Oh, wow!

Oh, interesting.

For those that don’t know Danny was with Josiah Citrin at Melisse for years and is a pretty great chef in his own right.

Now I’m curious what Travis Lett is going to be up to

1 Like

Are the Mizlalas related? B/c there was one in Sherman Oaks that was run by Simon’s son, right?

1 Like

Yes that’s him, Danny Elmaleh is Japanese and Moroccan IIRC

2 Likes

We’re loving having Mizlala in our ‘hood.

I was thinking the same.

2 Likes

That’s very unfortunate. :frowning: We liked our 2 visits to Mizlala (OG), but it was fine, not outstanding.

I was genuinely excited to see what Chef Travis Lett’s take on Pastrami and Knish and other items might be like. His cooking at Gjelina and Gjusta, how he can make the most incredible sandwiches from seemingly simple ingredients (Turkey Butcher, Prime Rib Butcher, Falafel Sandwich, Veggie Sandwich, etc.), Gjelina’s masterful vegetable dishes and more…

With this change? Not as excited.

6 Likes

With all the wage theft, kitchen abuse shenanigans, non mask wearing patrons and permissive ownership, at this point, I am fine with going with a home kitchen trying to make a go at it and food I will personally reheat and plate than going to sit down. As always YMMV.

Here is the order form. I heard good things about this guy and what made me pull the trigger was the Lemper Ayam which you don’t see many places… But we shall see tomorrow…he just confirmed my order. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good point. Loving Mizlala in our ‘hood is a matter of adding diversity to our restaurant scene, as we didn’t have anything like it. But when you put it that way… :thinking: Then again, I wouldn’t want Johnny’s to be too changed.

Same here. I love their puffy pita and Meatball and Schwarma plates. I would go more, especially with our current situation (I did get take out from them a few weeks ago and they could not have been nicer)… but they are still EAST of Crenshaw… :rofl:

2 Likes

Great. Report, pretty please.

Ditto. I haven’t had the meatballs, but I dig the green falafel and I’m not usually a fan of herby falafel.

1 Like

AH! I can’t get past the Schwarma and Meatballs so I haven’t tried that. Will add them to my list! Also love their Charred Cauliflower. It’s a heft portion that I often split between the meal and then later in a salad.

2 Likes

I like the care they put into things. Even the to-go food has a certain flare to the plating.

OHIMGOD, PREACH!!! Ugh, drives me crazy.

Okay, back on topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ALL DAY LONG. Not only does it speak to disrespect to your customers… but to your STAFF. That is why it’s not just about the non-mask wearing folks… it’s the permissiveness… I just happened to be in Alta Baja Market owned by the wife of a certain LA Times Columnist and he shouted out the Governors new ruling as it came down… I did a little inside cheer. LOL!

6 Likes

Yeah me too seeing how well he does simple dishes really got me excited to try his take on a pastrami sandwich. As of now Chef Lett doesn’t have a restaurant to cook in…at least we have Langers and Brents

3 Likes