Johnny's West Adams

They are not open yet. My brother went by today and they said despite the Eater article they are not open. They are doing some soft open things here and there

def not open drove by today, all boarded up

They’re on Postmates for pickup & delivery but it always says closed.

Does anyone know what happened with him at Gjusta etc?

Hubs drove by around 6:30 and said there was a line outside… I think the eater article said they were opening PAST 5p…

However, my Saturday errands were running late and I could not make it home in time for Mass and a trip to Johnny’s afterwards. I told Hubs to just come home with whatever as he really wanted to go with Johnnys with me…

He came home with a Mizlala Meatball Sandwich… Good man. We got Father’s day tomorrow and we’ll see if we can hit Johnny’s this week… we’lll swing by for dinner hours…

7 Likes

That meatball sandwich looks bomb!

3 Likes

More Deets from the Nabe…

It seems like the Postmates menu was a bit ambitious but they are serving most items. For now, they are opening at 6ish. There has been some pushbacks from the folks that remember the original on what a deviation this is. But overall, the vibe is very positive at the stand and the food. Even by some old timers who are thrilled to have something approximate to Langers close by…

11 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I got the chicken schwarma today for lunch and it was pretty great. Ill definitely be back. There was so much chicken, very moist and flavorful pita really held together for the whole time even after my drive home. Enjoyed the crispy broccoli as well. Randomly saw Phil there from the Netflix shows.

5 Likes

Went tonight for dinner. I ordered a half pastrami with coleslaw, cheeseburger, matzo ball soup, latkes, fries, and banana cream pie. The space is really nice and welcoming, with a cute big patio out back. I see this place getting VERY popular, so get here ASAP. Hours are 6-10 Tues-Sun for now, but they told me they might open for lunch starting this weekend. Highly recommend, but lets talk about the must haves:

The Pastrami was god tier. I’ll never admit it but maybe better than Langers. On a charred Tartine rye with thick slices. Comes with a very generous serving of excellent coleslaw. A half sandwhich + the cole slaw for $11 does not make me mad QPR crew

Matzo ball soup - This is the best i’ve had in LA. It’s a very elevated version with probably the best matzo ball i’ve ever had. Must order!

The cheeseburger was average, I would pass on this. The fries were decent and the latkes were pretty good as well. The Banana cream pie was very very good.

||||||||The pro order here would be half order pastrami, matzo ball soup, and a slice of the banana cream pie. For under $25 out the door, it’s very very travel worthy.||||||||

19 Likes

Did you happen to notice if they had the Johnny fries available?

This place looks damn good, thanks for the info!

yes, they have the Johnny fries!

1 Like

Looks good but the pastrami to bread ratio kinda sucks.
I am eyeballing -
2 cm upper bread: 2 cm pastrami: 1/2 mm mustard: 2 cm lower bread

5 Likes

I agree, it’s a little small but it was very very tasty. Again, I wasn’t mad about the QPR. This is more of an “rustic artisanal” version than a traditional Katz/Langers.

1 Like

I noticed this, too, but the food looks so tasty, I think I will have to try it. I also think a thick-cut pastrami can work okay, even when there’s less filling.

@skramzlife: it is thick-cut pastrami, yes? And I do love a good latke…

1 Like

yes very thick cut!

1 Like

Your picture is not really what they are showing on their Yelp picture. lol

Advertised

Reality

6 Likes

I don’t care how good it tastes, that’s some shameful false advertising.

1 Like

I mean it does say you can buy pastrami by the pound and the menu conveniently doesn’t list weight for the sandwich

Maybe the yelp photo is what the sandwich would look like under lower gravity on the surface of the moon (I mean, those sleek gloves do look S(pac)eXy…) :smiley:

FINALLY! After all my SQUEEing we finally went to Johnny’s last night. It was well worth the wait and can’t wait to go again!!

Knish with Gravy

This as HUGE! Very shareable and not quite what we expected! They packed my well with the gravy on the side. Both were still warm when we got home!

Loved the pastry but the filling IMO needs work. The potatoes we a bit gummy and a through there was a good amount of pastrami in there… it totally clashed with the amount of sage in the filling and gravy. In fact the gravy did not add anything to dish. Hopefully this is something they can work on.

Green Goddess Salad

I love salads and honestly so many “fancy salads” at these types of places are total let downs. But this salad lived up to all its promises! The asparagus and broccoli were perfectly cooked. Like PERFECT. I was totally blown away. It came with TWO dressings!! One was a lemon vinaigrette which was great to dip the broccoli the other was a green goddess which was super rich. It was like a green goddess aioli. I would have totally used it to dip fries. The only quibble is that the tiny croutons got a bit soggy on transport as tiny croutons tend to do. Otherwise I would order this again and again. (maybe with a order of their tenders… ;))

Pastrami Sandwich - Full

This was… a hefty sandwich. Utterly satisfying and as craveable as Langers! But this not langers. The bread is toasted and because of its unique shape some of the ends got burnt. The pastrami is SMOKEY. It’s not overwhelming but present. It was also super tender and juicy. Much better than anything I have ever gotten from Ugly Drum. It comes with a a house made horseradish sauce which I still can’t quite put my Finger on… but is very unique. Good but not as good as the original horsey sauce at Top Round (which sadly they no longer make either) The only thing that the Johnny’s in Culver City as this sandwich beat on is the Pickles. The pickled here are quite sour but lack crunch. Quite disappointing. The Ruben is not yet on the menu! Looking forward to trying that spin using this pastrami.

Cross section… excellent pastrami to bread ratio IMO

Matzoh Ball Soup

Finally the one thing I was most looking forward to… the Matzoh ball soup! And WOW. The broth is RICH. Like roasted and complex. I am not a huge dill fan and dill is all over the place on this menu. I did not mind it at all in this soup or in the salad. It really balanced the depth of flavor. There was plenty of chicken, veggies and a TON of noodles. I liked the noodles and they were well cooked for such thin noodles but they are so long… it made it hard to eat with a spoon. Would have preferred a smaller noodle (if you make MBS at home… Sprouts has these wonderful handmade Amish Egg Noodles that are amazing in MBS). The Matzoh Ball was a little on the small size (and you only got one) which was kinda sad for MBS fiends like me… but it’s wonderfully cooked with herbs and those Occasional hits of salt that makes me love these darn things… this version was WORLDS better than the MBS at Eleven City… I imagine just stopping by for that on my way home come this fall.

All in all a successful first outgoing. We someone who is used to just popping into Top Round when running around in the area… so glad to have this so close to home and looking forward to what they may have for us once they get going in full swing!

18 Likes