Jon and Vinny's To Brentwood!

Have a birthday party in a few weeks at my friends place off Sunset/405. I’m not super familiar with this area anymore. Looking for a good restaurant to go beforehand. We are coming from the OC and want to stay near the off ramps on the 405 north of the 10 or anywhere on the 10 headed West.

I currently have a reservation at Jon N Vinny’s. We got shut out of Bicyclette. Anything else we should consider? Nothing on Sepulveda or Culver City caught my attention.

1 Like

Jon and Vinny’s is definitely good. Taste of Tehran is a different kind of place but still great (and matches with your freeway desires), or you could look at other place in Tehrangeles. Pizzana is near J&V. Heading into Santa Monica, you’ve got the various Rustic Canyon family restaurants (Birdie G’s is the closest to a freeway exit but they’re all pretty easy). For what it’s worth, if you’ve got a good (4-8 people) group then I think J&V’s has the best laid-out outdoor area I’ve seen since covid started.

1 Like

Sichuan Impression? Does anything along Sawtelle appeal?

Went to Kappo Osen in Santa Monica for the first time 2 wks ago and thought it was quite good (if a tiny bit souless in a corporate-y feeling sort of way). That kind of food is not unique to LA, though.

Milo and Olive is always good. Went to Fia once. I think it’s a bit gimmicky, but certainly appropriate for a special occasion (and the people-watching is very LA). Both have fantastic people-watching…

Friend went to a sponsored event at Cassia last wk and enjoyed the food. I’ve only been once myself, and that was YEARS ago, so I have no idea what it tastes like now.

1 Like

Duh I meant Sawtelle and not Sepulveda. Just my wife and I and she hates Szechuan food.

Oh forgot about Rustic Canyon. I was hoping Brothers Sushi was open on Montana.

What about Imari on San Vicente? https://www.imari-la.com/

I haven’t been, but my last indoor meal was with the chef (Derek Wilcox) in New York in March 2020 and he is the real deal – apprenticed for years in Kyoto. Perhaps to bookend my Covid years, my next indoor meal will be with him in Brentwood after I am boosted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Violet Bistro is a really great choice for your locale.
Izakaya Hakata Hero is excellent if everyone likes Japanese.
Forma is also pretty good.
Pizzana and Jon and V.'s do what they do, which is fine.
Taste of Tehran isn’t really a comfortable sit-down place - there are others in that area that are better Persian choices for a dining group (Darya, SHaherzad)

Cassia, Rustic, Birdie G’s are all solid too but not that close to 405/Sunset.

4 Likes

A.O.C. Brentwood might be a good choice for your needs. Depending how far West on the 10 you want to go, Buffalo Club or Lunetta also could be options.

You and @J_L both had good reviews of Izakaya Hakata Hero. That’s good enough for me. I may have just totally blocked from my memory because we almost never eat in that part of town and my wife went to UCLA. She is going to give me a sideways look when I tell her what we are eating in that part of town. I just assume every good Izakaya is in Torrance, Gardena or DTLA since we lost Raku.

Sounds way better than Italian.

5 Likes

It was not when I walked by ~1.5 wks ago.

1 Like

Nanbankan also in the area

1 Like

Hope you like it.
Here are some favorites - though it is hard to go wrong. Plus there are always great daily specialties.

Sashimi Du Jour
Mixed apppitizer du jour
“Devil’s” Miso with Cucumber
Stuffed Chicken Wing “Gyoza”
Karaage
Shitake Ponzu
Hakata Omelet
Ebi Mayo or Spicy Ebi
Beef Tongue or Rib Eye
Pork Skewers
Pan-Fried Champon or Ramen (I prefer the champon but both are great and quite unique for LA).

If you like Mastsunabe Shabu that’s one of the things he’s really known for, but if intestines aren’t for you or your group, the same is available as a pork shabu shabu

9 Likes

@CiaoBob it doesn’t look like they take reservations? Thanks for the recommendations. Looks right up our alley.

They take reservations

I will stake my FTC reputation on Hakata Izakaya Hero. So good.
@CiaoBob’s recs are on the money, but I would add oysters. Meticulously cleaned and shucked oysters. A must-order for us. Check on the daily specials. I would also add kimchi. He makes his own there on-site.

Call for reservations:

6 Likes

Yes - love the oysters and kimchee too.
He is a perfectionist.
I guess it’s kind of hard not to just recommend the whole menu!

2 Likes

I thought the tagline for FTC was “I’ll have one of everything.” :joy:

3 Likes