Jonathan Gold has died

i read it this morning on twitter. right below tweets about the trader joe’s shooting, and for about five minutes i thought he’d been killed there.

so quick from diagnosis to death. apparently very common with pancreatic cancer.

a huge loss for the food world, and an even more massive loss for los angeles.

3 Likes

… and JG & DC haven’t been getting along so well in the press just recently.

1 Like

Shunji told me.

1 Like

I don’t know if you remember, but others will, that Sam Fujisaka of CH, died from the same cancer. But he lasted maybe six months…a long time for that.

2 Likes

…I loved your post.

1 Like

That made me laugh out loud… and I feel bad about it. :relaxed: But I don’t think JGold would mind. He might have laughed too.

1 Like

I’m not a tweeter but follow some peeps on Instagram. I did detect a silence from a few people and places, and was surprised.

FYI I seen Counter Intelligence: Where To Eat In Real Los Angeles at Skylight, Book Soup, and B&N The Grove.

It’s a fun read, especially for me as I didn’t get to read these when they first came out. Some of the restaurants of course are no longer around but good amount are still there.

3 Likes

Jonathan Gold really helped me fall in love with eating in Koreatown.

I don’t know how to speak Korean. I grew up with Korean-Americans but that doesn’t amount to much in this case. For most of my life I was on the other side, going to restaurants where the staff spoke English as a first language or with my Mom in the SGV with Mandarin. I didn’t really venture out to the unfamiliar.
But I did and it is one of my favorite things to do. Like every young AzN of course I had AYCE Korean BBQ. I wanted more though and I knew there was more to Korean food than Bulgogi. So I started researching.
Koreatown Los Angeles. Now my favorite neighborhood in LA proper. Every hole in the wall has a speciality? Wow I got to try that! That sounds good I wanna try it!! Of course I stumbled upon some of JGold’s stuff. I think it was a long list of Koreatown dishes. I had a lot of preconceived notions that eventually broke. Most restaurant workers and owners were flattered that an outsider can enjoy their food. I think they all enjoyed it secretly or maybe it’s just the $$$ lol. But anyways I wanna thank Jonathan Gold for that. There is still more to eat in Ktown though!

12 Likes

I just came here to share the same, @catholiver.

Here’s a link to the original Instagram post:

Jonathan Gold on Instagram: "Five rules"

3 Likes

Oh excellent! I’ll delete mine.

1 Like

You needn’t! Since my link isn’t showing an image preview, and you had posted the image, maybe you can repost it?

That NYT’s email round up had some great links to Gold’s writings and others’ tributes to him. I’m going to try and read through a couple today.

1 Like

Nah. (Have you ever tried right-clicking over an image and then pasting it?) I’ve had pretty good luck with that. Actually it’s how I got that one :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

:scream::cold_sweat:

1 Like

This is not accurate. Perhaps it was true 20 years ago but not today with modern treatment.
Death within the same month of diagnosis is extremely unusual even for stage IV pancreas cancer.
It is still incurable at that stage but the length of survival is rarely that short, especially in a relatively young person.

4 Likes

I was playing Monopoly (losing) with 3 people who did not give a shit at all about my feelings and kept being shocked at my distraction and all the texts that poured in. My girl understood but was a dick too

3 Likes

just going off what a quick google showed me. though i should have said “not uncommon” instead of “very common”.

Off topic but yes. I have a friend whose husband is probably two years into it. I’ve not asked her the particulars but understand they’ve done some pretty innovative things along with radiation. And he’s feeling great.

A friend who was around Gold’s age died of pancreatic cancer a few years ago. She could have survived perhaps a year longer than she chose to had she been willing to endure what that would have required.